New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goathead71
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  8:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brand new member. hi ijust purchased a 1971 gto.its been 30 yrs since i sold my other 71. i am going to need lots of help and advice so please be patient with me ok. car is a project that has had body off work all metal and very solid. it needs paint and motor. i would like to start with a motor. heres my first of many questions. car came with 76 400 557 and 400 turbo. and 6x8 heads. my goal is to put a 455 in this car. i have found a 455 block 1972 that has not been bored.my goal is to build a motor in the 400 to 450 hp range. 90% street car only reliable and street friendly max rpm 5300 or less. i believe car has a 355 rear end and i have 15 inch rims. since i have to paint this car too i do not want to put 10,000 into this motor. i have 5000 budget for this motor. what can i do with this small amount amount of money and make this car run strong? thanks for any advice i am leaving for work soon so i will get back on tomorrow ok thanks.

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  8:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to find a good pontiac builder near you that can help you thru the whole deal.Virtually everything on your 400 will fit on your 455 like heads,intake,pan,valley cover, dist, timing cover etc.You will need to get a rotating assm,cam and lifters and you should be good to go.For your HP goals you will not need exotic stuff.I know a really good pontiac builder in Crete ILL that has his own machine shop and is reasonable.Let me know if you want his info.Tom
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  9:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should be able to hit that regardless of the build. If low comp, i recommend something similar to the XE284 i had and liked but the clacking, like a similar lunati grind that's quieter? if higher comp, there's tons of proven recipes around.be sure about heads/compression, then match cam to that and gears.
Go to Top of Page

goathead71
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  6:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to pick up 455 block this sunday, If the crank is still good do i need to buy a complete rotating ass. or just rods and pistons. Which would be more practical? Also i will have heads measured for cc. On the heads is it that important to change exhaust valve size to 1.77 or is 1.66 ok for a street motor? Does the bigger valve size make that much difference at the lower rpm range? Also porting and polishing if i dont rev this motor much past 5000 rpm is it worth it to do? This car came with a brand new 2.25 in exhaust. I know this is small but will stock manifolds and this exhaust be ok for street use temporarily? Not sure what size Qjet came on 76 motor if it is a 750 will that be ok or 800 better? Right know i am more interested in good street type power band as i plan to drive this car as much as possible in the summer months. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are questions you should really give to your builder but yes the crank should be fine just need pistons and rods.FYI Edelbrock head come with the small exhaust valve.From your post your not looking for huge HP so your heads should work.Depending on the quality of gas you have avail you can pick CR so you can just pull into any station in any weather and not worry about detonation.Tom
Go to Top of Page

goathead71
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks does anyone know of a good pontiac builder in the southern mich ann arbor area?
Go to Top of Page

goathead71
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In michigan i have seen 93 octane at almost every station
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Scott Tiemann at Supercars restorations and get a good recommend.He wont lead you wrong.Tom
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Portland Mich.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have heard good reviews from supercar. Also, you're not too far from Ohio, where DCI Motorsports is, Cliff is if he still does motors, and Kauffman Racing.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2015 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If me there would be no question.Ric Johnson Crete IL.He built one of my RA V engines.Scott might shoot you to him.He does machine work for Scott.Custom Automotive.If you call him allow time to talk!Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: