Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  2:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to some of the Pontiac quirks.
I got looking at an Edelbrock intake and they say 65 and up, no note about earlier. I'm looking at a 64 Catalina 389 base motor but it has only a 2 barrel carb. I'd be taken to court if I showed up with a 2 barrel carb at a cruise with this car, so I'll need an immediate change.

They are sayng I'll have to park with the spectators. LOL

So do these not fit for some reason? Or is it just not listed?

Even our local pontiac "experts" are giving me conflicting answers.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  2:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If i recall, head angles were different 64 and back. You could swap heads and intake though? It'd be easier to find a factory 4bbl intake/carb and swap it in? Wait, what are we thinking??? You need a tripower setup! Then you can park where you want!

seriously though the big car low end 2bbl motors were lower compression, lazy camshaft. I had a 66 389 2bbl i ran for a daily driver for a few years, it moved pretty well, would chirp the tires on good days. I don't know how well a 4bbl would wake up the motor considering the low comp heads and lazy cam. Just food for though.
Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  4:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

I did find an Edelbrock P4B manifold locally so that seems to be what is needed. A Holley carb would work great. I'm not looking for increase in power at this point. I'll build a stroker 400 and T400 trans later. Maybe over the winter.

There is a company locally that makes an adaptor to put a T400 in this car with the 64 and earlier motor. It includes a big mini starter. I don't think I want to do it this way however. It's $800 plus the trans and converter.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  5:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On one of the pontiac facebook groups a guy brought that up, and if i also recall there may be some tunnel work in shoving the newer motor/trans in there? Don't quote me on it, i just think i heard that come up a month or so ago.
Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  5:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cortcomp, yeah I'm aware of that with the tunnel. If the column shift is not used LoKar has a bent stick shifter to use without a consol that clears the bench seat nicely. I have a standard one in my Willys. It's ok very reliable. It's shortcoming is that you can easily miss shift it. My blown sbc Willys can be pretty violent and a 1-2 shift comes very quickly. If you miss shift this you can get 3 rd or wosrse neutral. It's a gentleman's shifter. LOL. I usually just leave it in drive and let the trans do its thing.

I've got a TIG welder and metal working capability so I can pretty much do what ever is necessary to make a T400 fit. The driveshaft is a non issue as we have an excellent driveshaft company here. Fast and good service.

I may just bite the bullet and put the T400 in shortly and bag the slim Jim. I can always EBay the adaptor later.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  6:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just buy a used 61-64 4 bbl intake and a pontiac AFB carb.You will be much happier in the end.Linkage is a snap,jetting will not be a issue.When you do the engine trans change worry about that stuff then.As said thou a tripower would be way more cool.Tom
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  7:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also 64 blocks dont need a adapter,they are drilled for a block mounted starter.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: