Antique Auto Plate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  1:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how many of you have Vintage or Antique auto plate(s) on your Pontiac?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 69 had its original plates when I bought it, but I replaced them with veteran plates that show I'm an Iraq veteran.
I have found that being a veteran and being respectful goes a long way when dealing with law enforcement.
It still has the original dealer license plate frame. The other day, a guy in traffic said that his brother bought a Pontiac from McKee back in the 70s.

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  6:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have them for all of my cars, they are the finishing touch in my opinion. Not the historic, but the YOM. in Ohio, you get historic plates, and then through the YOM program you can run a year of manufacture plate on your vehicle and throw the historic in the glove box. You give them the YOM plate number at registration time and when the cops run the YOM plate, it comes up as the historic plate and shows your info.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  06:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know what you guys are referring to, owning a 65 GTO with a tag from that year. That's pretty cool. Some states have that, Florida doesn't. The best I could do would be to get one of their standard "blue" plates that has "Antique" on it.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  11:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I bought my GTO years ago,it still had the original owners Kansas antique plate on it. I drove it until about 2 years ago with that plate. Now it hangs on my garage wall. I registered it and put WI "collector" plates on it. I think in WI your car has to be older then the mid 50's to get "antique" plates.
My 62' Mercury still has my sisters SD plates on it. I don't remember what I did with my grandfathers AZ plates that were on it when I got it back in 1985. One of these days I'll get around to registering it here in WI. I kind of like the attention it gets with the SD tags on it,as people see me driving around with my dog hanging his head out the passenger side window,thinking I'm so old fart who just drove it in from Sturgis!!

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  5:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have vintage 71 plates on my bird, picked them up a swap meet one year for a 71 vette I use to have. Now the hard one is going to be finding 1950 plates for my F-1 project.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  7:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My brand new "Antique" license plate arrived in the mail this afternoon. Pretty cool.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you use other than "state" plates, be sure to check the "laws of the land". Our state has collector, pioneer, streetrod and some other plates. All of these are restricted to shows, parades and related events, not general going to the store or work. You can be cited for improper registration if you drive your collector car to the super store. Of course you can plead you were getting supplies for the car club party. Worst case would be an accident on the way to work. The lawyers can take you apart.

I licensed my Willys as a state license and have had no problem. A seat belt check stop on the way to work got a "nice car" from the officer.

A little known feature of our state license is that obvious specialty cars, Streetrods, classics etc with state plates only have to display rear plates and not the normal required front plate.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7221 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  08:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going through this right now in Pa. I never liked the look of the Pa. antique or even the classic plates. But now we can also have the vintage plates on our old cars so conveniently I have mostly cars from the era with the blue Bicenntenial plates (which I have always liked). So that's where I'm headed as soon as I can find ones with numbers/letters I like.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: