New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bensjammin66
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  12:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father in law and I just picked up a bone stock unrestored '66 Tempest with a 326 Saturday as a project for him as he always loved my '66 Le Mans. My first goal is to convert it to a Grand Cherokee steering box like mine but he only has manual steering in it now, mine came power. His is a 1966 326 with original heads.

My questions are what needs replaced chassis wise to add power steering?
Drag link, idler arm? Pitman arm i know for sure. Rest of the tie rod ends will work?

I found these two brackets on ebay too. Are these right for a '66 head? Whatever came on my '73 455 its brackets worked fine with my KRE heads. All heads same accessory bolt pattern?

1966 71 Pontiac GTO Firebird Power Steering Bracket | eBay

67 68 69 Pontiac Power Steering Pump Bracket GTO Firebird P 8 GP Item 1848 | eBay

Aluminum pump to block bracket, bracket for pump, pump, lines, gear box and rag joint, idler arm, center link, pitman arm, what am i missing?

icey1966
Tribal Scout

1 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  09:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reply is probably was too late but when I upgraded my 66 GTO to power steering I just installed a pump, gearbox and pitman arm from a 1967 Lemans. Worked well, although I recently had the gearbox rebuild to reduce the number of turns lock to lock.

Drag link and idler are all as they were when I had the manual steering box in place.

Note that my engine is a 1968, but the 1967 pump brackets fit just fine although some attention needs to be given to the placement of washers to insure that everything lines up with the pulleys.

Rag joint changed to a new one from the Parts Place.

bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: