New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2015 :  6:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious if anyone was running tubular A-Arms or other suspension mods like Del-A-Lum shackles or fat 1.25 sway bars or sub-frame connectors.

It seems that most guys here into straight line performance.

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  10:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump
Cort/ where's your old thread

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 20 Jul 2015 10:29:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  11:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5526

If you get the cheap ones, i'd recommend putting in good ball joints now, and the nuts that the bolts that hold the shocks screw into were kind of crap (one stripped out.) I'd put another nut on top, or replace those. Also, i'd drill a hole where the spring should align like stock so you can see it's in the right place from below. However for the money you save, i was happy and they gave you some more alignment options.

I don't know that they were that amazing over stock, but the added caster, stiffer bushings and lower stance of the car made it handle amazing. I have a stock 69 gto with the only upgrade the fast ratio box right now, and i can say the 71 would MAD outhandle it. It had a lot wider tires, 17" year ones, etc. It would eat corners no problem.
Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  7:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Play this video while installing your tubular A-arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEWkwvaNcs
Go to Top of Page

F-Body International
Tribal Scout

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  11:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some tubular upper and lower arms on order from Pro-Touring F-Body. The uppers are built with a solid greaseable joint so there is no deflection or squeaking like you find with urethane. The lowers are going to be special design for a full coil over shock absorber. I will be posting this as soon as everything is installed on the frame. It's all going on my '79 Trans Am 400 4spd.
Go to Top of Page

Taman
Red Bird

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run the Heidt's suspension. Front and rear. Tubular A arms, rear 4 link.
Before that I had a Hotchkis TVS setup. Going with modern A arms gives one way better suspension geometry and better ride quality. If you do the front do the back also. Getting rid of the leaf springs is worth the installation. If you use poly bushings, use the black ones. The red ones will squeak. Black are graphite impregnated.

Everything Under The Sun Is Intune
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  07:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.25" front anti sway bars are OEM size (for example) on 2nd gen TA.

I run frame connectors. Bolt in style then weld up later. Larger rear bar, modified front spring eyes (ala Herb Adams handbook), urethane sway bar, control arm and leaf spring bushings, Bilstein shocks or at least something close, Larger/wider sticker tires front and rear, trimmed stock front coils for proper stance and lowering (Adams), and Adams rear shackles, battery in trunk, lightened where possible especially the front end, also the heavy door beams which I trimmed where possible.

The Formula has been set up this way for @ 30 years and handles like a slot car. It's been a long time but IIRC the biggest improvement in handling was the larger front and sway bars combined with removing weight up front like battery, AC, iron intake & exhaust , federal mandated battering ram bumper reinforcements, etc.

Straight line traction was quite good on the street with the 400 until recently when I installed the new 462 but that's a whole other story.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 25 Aug 2016 07:52:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: