New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  6:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking to quiet down my exhaust and was looking into the cherrybomb vortex or dynomax vt's. Does any have any experience with either of these two mufflers.

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2015 :  09:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is not the response you want but I don't like leaving a question in "space."

I have no experience with either of these mufflers and I don't know anyone running either one of them.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  01:16:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, I didn't think any one would but I gave it a shot any way.From what I understand you have the pypes cat back exhaust. How's the sound on that?quote]Originally posted by Bill Boyle

This is not the response you want but I don't like leaving a question in "space."

I have no experience with either of these mufflers and I don't know anyone running either one of them.

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  08:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which body type?

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My exhaust starts with Hedman headers with 3" collectors reduced to 2.5" pipes running to the X cross over back to the transverse muffler and out splitters on each side behind the rear wheels. This is a PYPES system with their transverse SS muffler. The whole shebang is SS except the hangers and chrome tips. This is a variation not found in the 79 Trans Am. Some earlier Firebirds had that muffler scheme.

The transverse cross flow muffler tucks under the rear axle. This location provides some distance between the driver's ears and the exhaust note. It also adds a little weight over the rear of the car which doesn't hurt traction. The muffler isn't quiet, nor is it overly loud. The exhaust sound is easily picked out in a crowd of standing cars waiting for a light to change.

I also own another transverse cross flow muffler from Dynomax. It was purchased before the PYPES system. I could not delete their muffler from the exhaust package so during installation, I simply put their product on the car. I am certain the Dynomax SS muffler is quieter at idle and under WOT. Perhaps some day, when everything else is done around the house and with my car, and I have nothing to do, I'll swap in the Dynomax just for giggles.

Below is a link to a short video of my car running on fast idle and then slow idle. Video camera was about 15 feet behind the car. It will give you a taste of the exhaust sound.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/graphix/DialinginQjet.mov

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  6:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have hooker headers running to pypes cross pipes. 2.5 inch pipe all the thru. I bought Texas TA mufflers. They sounded good at the time I bought them but now they are just obnoxiously loud with big time drone. I want to change into something quieter without losing performance. Looking for that silent rumble if that makes sense.I was looking at dynomat vt or super turbos along with cherry bomb vortex. All reviews say that they are quiet. Then I came across your response Bill about how you have that transverse muffler in the rear and yes, the ta's before yours had them like that so now my years are turning. Is that the way to go? Is performance better or the same?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  11:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 16 inch dynomax super turbos are only slightly obnoxious with drone in a narrow rpm range with the same system.
The VT is advertised to eliminate drone

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 09 Jul 2015 11:31:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is performance better with the transverse muffler set up? I can only speculate that it's better than what I had in the car before but can't really be certain as the car has not been to the strip with it in place.

Before I had 2.5" pipe coming from my collectors to Walker turbo mufflers. They existed out 2.25" pipes to the OEM splinters. The mufflers weren't located under the back seat where your's are probably located but in the cavity under the front seats. There was lots of sound in the cabin and I got tired of it. I wanted a superior system and believe that was achieved with the PYPES layout. Hanging the system required a little engineering on my part for several reasons one of which that nothing PYPES included worked. I fabricated my own hangers to hang the mufflers above the axle.

----
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2015 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You definitely got me thinking Bill on whether I should put a transverse muffler in the rear or keep it the same with two mufflers under the back seat. I say that because of the clearance issues I might have with new mufflers. I don't have that problem now with Texas TA mufflers. That was one of the reasons I got em.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2015 :  8:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was the pre-mock up in the driveway of the transverse cross flow muffler from PYPES back in 2009.

It wasn't an easy installation to do by myself. Lots of work to make it fit right. It's a 2 man job, in my opinion.

----
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2015 :  01:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You definitely got me thinking Bill on whether I should put a transverse muffler in the rear or keep it the same with two mufflers under the back seat. I say that because of the clearance issues I might have with new mufflers. I don't have that problem now with Texas TA mufflers. That was one of the reasons I got em.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2015 :  10:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I discovered a Youtube video of the Pypes system installed on my 1979 TA. The owner located his video camera in close proximity to the splitters and traveled over different surfaces. Again this may be helpful to you.

As mentioned earlier the Pypes transverse muffler is not quiet--it's the Race Pro. So, my guess it provides plenty of free flow.

Listening to the exhaust on the video, the engine may not be as "built up" as my engine, but it does give a decent example of the overall sound quality the system provides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epMZLqv5-T0

[Video works but takes time to load properly--be patient.]

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 12 Jul 2015 10:22:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help Bill. I'm thinking for now I'm going to go with a pair of those cherry bomb vortex mufflers. If push comes to shove on sound or clearance issues then I'll be going with what you got. One last thing..what are the purpose of resonators?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  11:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Resonators. On many large cars of the past resonators were part of the exhaust system. They were included to reduce exhaust noise and probably to temper the sound of it. My Dad's 59 Caddy Sedan Deville and 62 Sedan De Ville had them as I recall. Both had dual mufflers and dual resonators.

The 79 TA for instance, had that pathetically large GM catalytic converter mounted under the passenger seat followed by 2 tubes that spilt and went in 2 small mufflers below the rear seats. Those mufflers were like resonators. Most of the sound was muffled by that large converter. It was tuned with the resonators--giving it a muscle car sound. As I recall, there was no annoying engine drone with that system. When headers and a true dual exhaust were added (converter and itty bitty mufflers canned), I had a steady diet of drone around 2000 rpm. Adding resonators may have helped with that annoyance.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 14 Jul 2015 11:02:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chavez
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  4:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill which transverse muffler do you have from dynomax? Part #? Now I'm looking at flowmaster 80 series crossflow but then I'm thinking I might be at square one with too loud and a lot of drone.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  7:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a Dynomax Ultra Flow polished SS, dual inlet/dual outlet, 2.5" outlets, fully welded. The part number is 17276. I'm not sure whether that part number still exists today--it probably has changed. (What hasn't these days.)

----
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2015 :  11:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the muffler inlets and outlet locations are different on flowmaster vs. dynomax. Not interchangeable.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: