For Yes fans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  12:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris Squire just passed away, June 29 2015, of leukemia at age 67.

He was the only contiguous member of the band.

As Lorraine Newman once said " WOW! That's great bass"!

Yes Fan since 1975. Sorry I missed those early years! Hey, that's the same year I got my first Pontiac!

Spara

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2015 :  9:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squire
Bruce
Entwhistle

Mondo bottom end disappearing.

Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  11:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listening to "Heart of the Sunrise" this evening.

Just amazed at Chris Squire's bass, like singing a duet with Jon Anderson.

Sparafucile
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also,VERY underrated. Like I said in another thread,most people these days don't even know who Yes is/was. Their best songs IMO were ones you would never have heard on the radio. The stations I grew up listening to- WLS and WCFL,both AM stations in Chicago, played all the "top 10" songs every hour,and would often edit the heck out of any song that ran more than 3 minutes and 30 seconds. That pretty much weeds out 90% of Yes songs by quite a few minutes. That equals-No air play.
Like I mentioned earlier,best concert I ever saw,hands down.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  8:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been rediscovering many of their gems since Chris' passing. Some of their stuff are pure masterpieces. Chris inspired quite a few bass players in my neck of the woods, some even picking up the bass in the first place because of him.

I have seen Bill Bruford live more times than I can remember and always liked his style (although no one can touch Neil Peart in my opinion).

A unique 70's band who put a ton of time, energy and work into their music and it showed. Then the 80's came...

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah,then the 80's came.
One bright spot- My 15 year old is into "old" music from the 60's and 70's. I turned him on to Yes a few months back. He will sit down and listen to their first albums with me,and he was in awe when he first heard them. He's the only one of my kids that "gets it". He appreciates talented musicians as opposed to Top 10 and Pop music. The rest of the family....ehhh,not so much.

Last weekend I played some old ELP for him. Now he had been practicing "In the beginning" on his acoustical guitar. A very hard song for a rookie to play,I'm sure. I told him if he gets it down I'll pay him $100.

Edited by - 67drake on 23 Jul 2015 08:44:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  11:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's excellent!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  1:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and true....
epics-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDkdZ6QvXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXEsysLfDQ

Edited by - 67drake on 23 Jul 2015 1:43:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2015 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes had a tumultuous history, like many bands of highly talented artists.

Its surprising they had the longevity they have had. Rick Wakemen was my favorite keyboardist of Yes, although he's not on many albums.

I never went to concerts when I was young but lucky enough to catch an early millennium tour with Jon Anderson and his voice was top notch that night.

Speaking of ELP I think I have my Tarkus CD still.

I just bought new copies of Fragile and Close to the Edge. I'm disappointed that Amazon took 3 days to get them shipped.

Sparafucile
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  8:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

(although no one can touch Neil Peart in my opinion).

Kenny Aronoff
Bill Ward
Bobby Rondinelli
Roger Earl
Keith Moon
Corky Lang

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  11:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith Moon? Well, he completely outperforms Neil Peart in the smashing of drum kits department.

Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2017 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess our Rock and Roll heroes are dropping like flies.

Just in case anyone is interested, two Yes bands are touring this year.

The first, together for a while, is Steve Howe, Alan White Geoff Downes who's excellent work on Drama is cancelled out for being a Buggle,and some also rans.

The second, the newer " Yes featuring Jon Anderson" that also has Rick Wakemen, and Trevor Rabin who was successful making films after his stint with the Yes folks.

I will try to see them both even if it means travel. I suggest you see your Rock and Roll hero if you can, because not only are they dropping like flies, we will start dropping like flies ourselves pretty soon.

On another note, in 1981 yes members toyed with forming " XYZ " X-Yes and X- Zeppelin members Jimmy Page, Chris Squire and Alan White.

Since the Neutral Zone alludes to Star Trek I'll quote Commander Kor " It would have been glorious"

Spara
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2017 :  08:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see YES again (saw them in '80,Chicago Stadium)). Concert tickets are so crazy expensive these days,I don't even bother though.
I saw David Blaine was coming to Milwaukee this summer. I thought my wife might like to go see him with me. $200 per ticket for crappy seats!-no thanks.
Last concert I saw was Clapton back around '90-92. I think I paid $30 or 40 for decent seats. When my daughter was about 4 years old,about 18 years ago,she loved the movie "River Dance" (Hey,we're IRISH!). They came to Milwaukee on tour back then,and I got 2nd row center for about $40 each.

Edited by - 67drake on 21 Apr 2017 08:41:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: