Pertronix vs. Crane point conversion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  8:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the pros and cons to each system? I want to replace the points and still maintain a stock appearance (so no HEI). The car is a 69 Bird, 400/4 speed. I'm leaning toward the Crane because of the rev limiter and lower cost, but most people seem to have the Pertronix around here. I want to limit it to 5k rpm. Any thoughts? thanks

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  8:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No self control?LOL.I have run the pertronics for 15 years,only other one I used was Daves SB HEI.Both have been fine with no issues.Tom
Go to Top of Page

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  10:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running a crane xri right now. Rev limiter works. Made in USA. Reliable.

If I had to do it over, I would just get hei.

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  12:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loosetappet

because of the rev limiter and low cost

I dont know if the combo from the other thread needs a rev limiter. And just one more thing to go south out on the road.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 24 Jun 2015 12:32:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  01:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I mention that it's reliable? Better starting. Smoother idle. If you re not getting hei, get the crane unit.

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  07:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impulse control has always been a problem.....LOL
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  10:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the units above use a variable dwell for more effective coil saturation, build up time.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2008/11/01/hmn_feature19.html

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 24 Jun 2015 10:14:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  3:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

Do the units above use a variable dwell for more effective coil saturation, build up time.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2008/11/01/hmn_feature19.html

Good question. The catalog doesn't say, guess I would have to call Crane. That is a good article in Hemmings. I can remember in the good ole pre-internet days trying to troubleshoot a 70s Pontiac with HEI. The car would die randomly (usually in the middle of traffic) and refuse to start for at least 10 minutes. Just long enough to exhaust the full profanity vocabulary of surrounding drivers. HEI was new to me at the time, but looking in my trusty MOTOR manual I though I could easily diagnose the problem. No such luck. My own knowledge of profanity under the hood was quickly exhausted as well as my parts budget. Never did figure it out completely.
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  07:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see there is another thread discussing this same topic, but thanks to all, especially the link to Daves small body HEI and the info about the variable dwell.
Crane XR-i is not a variable dwell unit. This unit is back ordered and can't be had for a month (poor inventory control?). However, the price is less than the Pertronix.

Pertronix Ignigtor 2 - the 2 is a variable dwell unit. The 1 is not. These are readily available from many sources.

The HEI will fit the 69 bird but I'm trying to stay with the stock (original) look as much as possible. I suspect that any of the units will work fine, better than points. There is one complaint I read about the Pertronix units - if you leave the key on you will fry the module. Anyone have that happen?
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  6:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The original Pertronix ignitor was triggered off the existing points cam lobes. I ran it in a 400 many years ago for a few seasons then sold it off to an Olds guy because I had a hankering to try the then new ignitor 2 on my next motor a 455. As I stated before as well as Tom, been working trouble free in all kinds of driving situations for more than 10 years! The igntor 2 has the more reliable magnetic pickup wheel setup.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  8:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the Ign 2 also has key left on protection, where i don't think the ign 1 did?
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  9:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going with the ignitor 2. Looks like the best unit per dollar. The Crane would work too, but I didn't want to wait a month for delivery.
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  6:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cort regarding that, I'm not sure. I've never encountered that issue because I wired in a 6AL box with the required diode on the ignition "calling" wire to prevent any kind of backfeed which is highly recommended in the instructions for these ignition parts.

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: