Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  9:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got these heads at a yard sale would they be a good set to put on my 455
The engine is going in my 63 Lemans the car has a T10 4 speed and a 9" rear

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  9:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, terrible. I'll do you a favor, and take those heads off your hands for 200 bucks. ;)

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  11:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can run those heads, but will need some dished pistons to lower the compression for pump gas.

A guy in this forum used to run Ram Air IV heads on his stroked 455, he goes by the name "Bear".

If you want, I'll give you $250 for those heads ;)

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

rcpent18
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  07:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will keep the heads just for the cool factor of having them plus I think they are worth a litte more than $250 now that I know they are Ram Air IV
When i order my pistons Ill look into dish to keep compression under 10 to 1
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were all joking on our offers since they are really desirable pieces.

What did you pay for these heads at the yard sale if you don't mind me asking?

I'm just imagining some little old lady selling them to you for 25 dollars or something.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  12:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If those are the round ports i'm thinking of, i see them going around 1600-2500 time to time. Problem is, around those prices you can get better aluminum ones. When it comes to not too common car parts, i understand higher price doesn't always mean higher performance, i get it, just makes it a hard decision whether to go OEM Ram Air parts or aluminum Eheads or something.
Go to Top of Page

2barrelpower
Sitting Bull

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a handy site that will help you calculate what your static compression ration would be:
http://www.projectpontiac.com/ppsite15/compression-ratio-calculator

I came up with about 11 to 1 for 722 heads on a 455.

CC the heads so that you know exactly how much dish you should get. According to the old guys, factory specs could say 72cc, but the actual specs may be 80cc (would still be too high according to the calculator.

10 to 1 is really high even for a well tuned engine; it would be wise to keep the static compression in the range of 9 to 9.5 to 1.

You could also sell those heads for good money, and get some Edelbrock heads.

69FB, 350P, 9 to 1, Comp 260H, Stock Valve Train, Performer Intake, 1406 Carb, Hooker Headers, Points Style, Crane XRI, Crane PS20, TH350, stock stall, 3.08 gear, and 235/60/15 Firestones.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2barrelpower

to keep the static compression in the range of 9 to 9.5 to 1.

could also sell those heads for good money, and get some Edelbrock heads.

Desired Compression ratio is dependent on power goals. With the proper combustion chamber prep and component selection, a 10 to 1 iron head engine is very due-able.

IMO the 722's should be saved for a factory correct restoration.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  5:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I sold a set for close to 3K.Tom
Go to Top of Page

rcpent18
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  7:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GtoGuy32 you are not far off $50 they were rusty no valves or springs
The family was selling all the fathers parts after his passing

This is my first Pontiac build
Realy want to find a two 4 intake for it
Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  7:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was about to say this in a not as nice way , but is it a good thing to make a $2000 profit by the loss of a family's loved one?

You guys wouldn't really have bought them from him for $200 right?

Spara
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to run a 2-4 intake look for the Offy for a street intake.WAY better than the E intake IMO,Tom
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  8:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sparafucile

You guys wouldn't really have bought them from him for $200 right?

Spara

I wouldn't have. I was joking around since I thought he knew he had RAIV heads and that he likely paid a couple grand for them. I think it's great he scored them for $50.

I thought I got a good deal on my 197 round ports, which were seriously $200, but that is what the guy was asking for them knowing what they were. $50 for round port anything this day and age is awesome.

I am really interested in hearing about this build once you get it going.

What are your power goals and what do you plan to do with the car? Street, Street/Strip?

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

rcpent18
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know what they were when i got them
I dont usually get that lucky
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2015 :  10:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh. I've picked up some stuff for great prices but it's taken looking for stuff nearly every day for what seems like years. That's an exiting find. As mentioned above though, maybe clean em up, mag em', then really wiegh your options. They can fetch a pretty penny. Matching date codes even better. Definitely don't send them to a machine shop who doesn't know pontiacs but claim they do. Do your research and send them to the right people. I'm sure some of the members here wcould offer suggestions depending on your location or willingness to ship. SD performance or Central Virginia Machine shop are 2 that are well known/established in the pontiac world. If it were me I'd call them first with such rare heads.
Go to Top of Page

rcpent18
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  07:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news from machine shop no cracks and matching date codes now to figure out what valves and springs to use.
Still waiting on block and crank hope they are good.

My power power goal is 500hp and more torque than I can use.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  08:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"One man's junk is another's treasure." Somebody said that. It comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

I have given away far more expensive items because of my circumstances....It happens, now and than and you move on. Knowing you put a smile on somebody's face is some recompense.

To use those RA IV heads on a larger bore, seek out custom pistons that will reduce the
static compression so you can run premium versus racing gas.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want the most power, and they don't match your car/don't matter for a restoration...sell them to finance a good set of aluminum heads. More power, more flow, cooler, cheaper to port, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would mount them to your work space wall as ARTWORK. In 5 years they may be worth $5K. And bite the bullet and buy some aluminum heads.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 17 Jun 2015 10:53:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  10:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the wow factor. In stock form i dont think they flow much better on the intake side than other pontiac heads.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

rcpent1881
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pass word quit working
Well the good news is no cracks or striped bolt holes
Now to figure out valves and springs

1963 Lemans soon to be 455 4 speed 9" rear
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2015 :  11:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow - has it really been that long since I logged in here? Unforgivable..

Yes, I ran #722's on my 461 (400 stroker - you can find it on here in the 1:1 club). I'd still be running them today, only one of them developed a crack and I have yet to find someone I trust to try to repair it. The round port E-heads I replaced them with make more power, but it's hard to beat the pure sex appeal of real #722's.

I had to do some pretty unkind things to the engine to get compression down where it would live ok on 93 octane. My pistons have as deep as they could be cut round dishes in them (not D-shaped) that got me about 22 cc's in the pistons, then I had to run thick Cometic head gaskets (0.075 compressed) to get the motor down to just a shade over 9.5:1 --- and I didn't dare zero deck it because I needed every shred of clearance volume I could find. All those things meant that the quench characteristics in the motor were horrible, but that was the only way at the time I could get compression down into the relatively safe zone. It was still stout enough to qualify for the 1:1 club though :)

Someday if I'm able to get the one head repaired, I'll try to run them again. This time I'll probably work harder to find pistons that have enough dish volume so that I don't have to sacrifice quench, but that's likely to mean expensive custom ones.

It CAN be done, but you'll have to make some hard decisions to get it to live and it won't be inexpensive.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  10:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give Jim Leihart a call or send a PM. He may be able to fix it.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: