1962 Grand Prix recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Civilian
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2015 :  11:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, pretty new to the site and building my fist Pontiac. As the subject says, I am building a '62 Grand Prix. I have a 455 I'm currently putting together, and already have a transmission and rear end in mind. I'm going with a completely stock interior from the original parts group and a better than stock cooling system.

I know absolutely zero about Pontiacs (save what I can glean from my dad over the phone) so I'm looking for any recommendations, things to look out for, or pretty much anything that may make my life easier. In my first posts here, I have already learned quite a bit. At the moment, to save on cost, I'm going to do the exterior like a 60s drag car. I'm also going with the steel wheels from that era because it's cheaper than the original eight lug wheels at the moment. I think I have the engine components, transmission and rear end figured out...but I'm certainly still open for ideas.

I'll continue to post specific questions in the appropriate forum, but in the meantime, does anyone have any pointers for me before full on demolition starts?

Ah, I remember a question. Does anyone know the absolute max wheel/tire size I can fit on that car? Wondering if someone here has gotten creative with back spacing to get the bit test tire possible under there...without tubbing.

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  09:09:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Civilian - I know very little specific to the car. Just wanted to say welcome and best of luck - it will be a great sled when done for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard.

As a new Pontiac owner, learning as much about your Grand Prix is key to making it into a great car again. I suggest becoming a member of POCI. There are people within the club that have owned these cars, some for a very long time, and really know a lot about them. Membership will also tie you into a local chapter that you may join. The key is being around Pontiac--discussing things with Pontiac enthusiasts.

We can help at PSP too. There are many things that are common to Pontiac cars like engines and drive lines etc. It's all in the family kind of thing.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2015 :  6:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 62 GP right now.The rear end in the car does not need changing.You might need a posi or diff R&P but the unit is very strong.I guess your going with a auto so the pattern on you shifter will be diff.The cooling might be OK if the radiator is good with a add of a shroud.Dont spend money for that kind of stuff untill you have the engine and trans in a running.Remember the wheels are 5 on 5 pattern.The thing to look close at is the trunk pan and the rear frame mounts.The rear windows usually leaked into the trunk and rusted them from the inside out while taking out the rear frame mounts.You can email me at t.schlauch@yahoo.com if you have other questions.Tom
Go to Top of Page

KOJ
Tribal Scout

12 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  9:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed a 455 into a 63 grand prix and went smoothly except for having to move motor mounts half inch forward so 4 speed housing would line up
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: