I don't give a shift...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2015 :  6:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tidying up all the details in the 69 i bought a few months ago to make the car "perfect".

The shifter always felt weird to me, like if you shifted down reverse would be where R was, but if you went to D, then back to R, it was in a different place. The trans is fine and i always felt it was the shifter.

Here is the link to a video i took with it apart, you can see the white derlin like material is wore, allowing it to "rock" back and forth, wasting some of the shifter motion...

Anyone knew where to get parts for these, or have suggestions?

https://youtu.be/emXmaKI3i3E

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2015 :  11:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notice th movement at the front of the shifter assy when shoved into park.. Is the front secured to the hump?

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2015 :  11:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is, but don't see how it could? there doesn't seem to be a bracket there, and i don't see one listed on ames, year one, etc. Keep in mind, when the console is in, the whole assembly is connected to that so it won't move as much.

I found a guy who rebuilds these and he said it really looks like the "housing is out of shape and the sliders are worn". I'm going to sell this one to him as a core, buy an already-refurbished one, and re-assembly everything so i'm not sitting around forever, then move on to a small but annoying wiring issue. I'll be glad when the shifter feels new and solid again! It was very mush with all this play.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: