Not a Place to Show Off
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4834 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I was in attendance at a local car show that started before noon. Rain showers were on and off during the morning and despite threatening clouds, the venue loaded up with beautiful cars of all makes and models. By noon the place was packed. As typical in South Florida, the weather cleared and left us with a beautiful day. What made this event so special was the "free" food from the sponsor, the entertainment and the folks putting everything they had into making it special. Trophies were awarded late in the afternoon, attendees apparently a little unhappy with how long it took to present awards, and when all was done, it became a mad rush to leave. Wrong. With 280 terrific cars on display, they all dashed for their cars. The route in was the same route out and cars lined up to wind their way around the buildings to make it to the exit.

The first mishap was accidental. It happened 50-60 feet from where I was standing talking with friends. In haste to leave, a Chevrolet SSR, clipped the shinny protruding bumper on what appeared to me to be a 38-39 classic Buick or Oldsmobile, I'm uncertain, but in so doing, the SSR, ripped the bumper off the old car, and the shinny bumper snapped in half. The owner, a fellow my age, went through the roof. I thought for sure fists would fly. Aside from general profanity and apologies from the SSR driver/owner, it was resolved. Police arrived later.

Not 5 minutes passed, and cars were still in that long string of cars trying to exit, when there was a serious "launch" of a car, beyond my observation on the long stretch that led to the exit. Perhaps a foot ball field in length. The loud engine roar, like one hears at the drags with burning tire spin sound moving down the roadway stopped abruptly with the sound of crushing metal.

Everyone who was not in a car stopped and looked in the direction of that sound. What happened was that a customized 69 pro-touring Camaro, crashed into the rear of a 1955 Chevrolet, shortening that car by a couple of feet. The Camaro was all the way to the back seat of the 55 or close to it. The Camaro drove the 55 forward into another car, one I didn't see, but was told was a Corvette. So, the classic 55 was damaged front and rear. Within a couple of minutes, police and ambulances arrived to treat the injured.

I spoke with several of the people involved with working the event and they were very upset over both incidents. After months of preparation for the show, getting entertainment, a venue location, advertising for it, haste and stupid, childish behavior, threw a cold blanket on one terrific event. Aside from probable total loss of the 55, serious damages to the Camaro, and that "ghost" Corvette, passengers in the 55 were hurt. There's no telling how that will turn out.

Some people really lack common sense and judgment. Haste makes waste, and fools folly is not the way to show off one's car.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 02 Mar 2015 4:49:59 PM

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Couple of guys and poor planning have to ruin it for everyone...
Go to Top of Page

hardknox50
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2017 :  07:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a very unfortunate incident.

Tony Lane
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly