Pontiac Street Performance
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Pontiac Performance
 Tempest / Lemans / GTOs
 Are aluminum heads wasted on a tri-power setup?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scotchbonnet42
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in the KRE 74 cc aluminum heads for my 389-.06 over. I want to keep the tri-power 2gc look and am concerned that the intake manifold flow is insufficient to really get anything appreciative out of the higher flowing heads. I realize I can port match, but are the heads just overkill for this set up?

cmiller

tjs44
Cochise

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  8:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stock KRE heads will be fine.Just get it port matched.As a race engine would not be as good as a good single 4 but for a street driver you will like it.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  5:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Rick Holladay went 10.80 with his '65 ragtop, 434 CID, E-heads, TriPower (iron, ported) and a Comp XR288HR (with solids on it) on 93 octane gas.

With the aluminum repro manifold available (high quality casting), we've managed nearly 600 HP with this arrangement. Jim Viar's '63 Grand Prix has a nicer pair of KRE D-ports with the TriPower and a hydraulic roller (using my experimental setup, so far, so good).

All depends on what you want, but yes, power can be made. I recommend you buy those heads "bare" and have high quality hardware installed and final "work" done. "Out of the box" often leaves something to be desired, regardless of manufacturer.

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: