New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  9:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would you do if your crank is scrapping the dent in the oil pan caused by stupid, the jack slipped and dented the front of the pan?
Pull the engine ,or raise it up enough to slip the pan out which i do not think can be done or buy a Stud Welder Dent Repair Kit from harbor freight and use a slid hammer?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  9:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you can sneak the pan out, i did on my 71 once. If you're feeling froggy and think you can do it, drain the oil, weld a bolt head to the pan, pull the dent out (like they do with body stud guns.) HOWEVER, pans are thin, easy to blow a hole in, and even if you get the dent out you may make a hole removing the bolt.

Removing the pan isn't bad, and if you don't have one, the one piece oil pan gasket would be a good upgrade now, so you're not trying to do the 4 piece on the car.
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  9:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you use a stud welder and weld a stud on, like the body shops do? you could use a slide hammer on it that way.Just sayin
Never mind...treed by cortcomp

Edited by - Latech on 11 Feb 2015 9:37:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  10:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yanking the pan isn't too tough. Undo the engine mounts and lift it up 2-3 inches.

I'd go that route, then you can really do a good job fixing it.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  07:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the club. If you haven't had to remove the pan at least once with the engine in place, you're not a real Pontiac gear head. What David states is the way to do it. Many of us have "been there, done that." Just take you time.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys thanks for the info. i was able to massage out the dent in the pan by lifting the block about 6 inches. That allowed me me enough clearance to use a four foot one inch diameter pipe to knock out the dent. I was able to see that the crank's counter weight was rubbing against the dent. I am glad i turned the motor over by hand first to see if the dent would be in the way.
Again Thank you , Frankie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: