HEI and Points Tune-up Services by Bill Boyle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  7:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reposting the fact that I provide HEI and points tune up services using my Sun Distributor Machine. I'll determine a baseline, and based on you needs, curve your advance for you application. .

I charge $100 for my labor. Additional parts, provided by me, if necessary, are extra. You also pay for shipping to and from. I take Paypal so it's pretty easy. Turn around in 3 business days. (BTW, shipping is between $15-20.)

My address is:

Bill Boyle
630 NW 71 Ave
Plantation, FL 33317

You can email me for more information at bboyle@boyleworks.com

[Note this thread is old, but remains current information. 12-10-2014]

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

dennismac
Cochise

270 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2007 :  10:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remove cap and rotor to save weight, do you have replacement stock cap to tune the distributor? Or do you need complete unit with cap and wires?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  05:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're intending to install a new cap and rotor atop your distributor, not use the old or existing one, I don't need to visually inspect it. That's true for points and HEIs. When I run them on my machine I'm assessing and tuning the internals. Bottom line--it's not usually necessary to include the cap and rotor.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

66GTO Jim
Tribal Scout

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, My brother was lucky enough to purchase a Sun Distirbutor Machine. Everything looks good except that he needs a new battery and can't seem to find one. Searches show that the batteries have been discontinued due to something with the EPA and the mercury content.The battery he needs is either Sun Mercury Battery Part Number 1766-7 or Mallory RM12R 1.35 Voilts.

I hoping you could let me know where you source the battery or if there is a work around you can share. Sorry to hijack your thread! Jim
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  1:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, don't know about the batteries you speak of. My Sun machine works off 115 volt AC current.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  1:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mercury Batteries
My distributor tester and the dwell meter use to use mercury batteries. The mercury battery had one very nice characteristic - the supplied voltage was constant until the battery was almost completely discharged. The voltage from current batteries tapers off as the battery discharges.

The AA mercury battery was Sun part number 1766-7 and was made by Mallory, part number RM12R.

For the distributor tester, I've installed a power supply to replace the 1.35 volt battery. I bought a variable DC voltage power supply kit from a local supplier. The kit (PN 68) was $13 and is also availabe from the manufacturer's web site. The kit runs off either an AC or DC input - for the distributor tester, I used line voltage through a transformer for the input voltage. I may have changed one of the resistors to drop the output voltage range.

I haven't decided what to do for the dwell meter yet.

Here is the site i found this info on. Maybe it will help.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:mbJ98Vt2N4IJ:home.earthlink.net/~rchaskell/auto/sun/index.html+Sun+Mercury+Battery+Part+Number+1766-7&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Go to Top of Page

66GTO Jim
Tribal Scout

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2007 :  11:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone! Good info. Jim
Go to Top of Page

Ponchjoe
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  07:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Do you still do distibutors?
Thanks,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  10:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes. I still set them up.

Bill

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

russosborne
Sitting Bull

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2011 :  11:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Still doing these? What is the going rate these days?
Also, is it worth doing on a car that will be basically stock? 70 Lemans with a 350, has a Peformer RPM manifold and a carter 4 barrel, and will have headers. As far as I know no internal changes. Has a Summit Racing brand HEI installed.
Thanks,
Russ
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  10:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a NEW pro-comp pc6008d with adj./vac. adv. and I was woundering what should be done with it before I install it ? Would it make a big difference if it was recurved before I even put it in or should I put it in and send the original in to have it gone through and recurve it ? I'm going to do an upgrade on a 76 f/bird soon ,swap the 2 for a 4brl,(qjet),and performer intake,E.B.,With E.B. cam /lifter kit.It has 6x4's with true dual flowmaster .Want to do all I can to gain hp while I'm doing it .Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  10:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that it's a 350 pont. engine !!
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  07:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most new distributors are not set up for performance. They can be corrected, of course, to provide more robust performance.

If it was me, I'd probably test it on my distributor machine, see where the base line is and determine if anything else needs to be done to improve things. However, most people would simply install the unit, see how it operates the engine, and determine if that is okay or not. It's always good to know that the unit you have actually works before being sent out for modification.

----
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  2:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill,would you do the distributor out of my '62 Mercury? I doubt it's ever been touched besides new points and condensers.
Do you have stocks specs for it? All I have is old Chiltons manual specs.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 31 Jan 2016 2:57:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  5:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old tech book for 'dem old time" distributors. It should have all the specs for it. Do you have new points and condenser for it? If so, send them along to me. Is this a working distributor?

Bill

Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2016 :  5:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,it is in my running '62 Meteor w/221 V8.
I put new points in a few years ago,when I got the car running. The condenser that came in the parts store was the wrong one,so I just kept the old one in. It could be 30 years old? I have a slight hesitation on acceleration and it gets better with the timing advanced. Carb has been rebuilt by me. I feel hesitation is ignition related. Accelerator pump shot looks good on carb.
Either way,I'd at least like the dizzy to be gone over to make sure it "good to go",It's 54 years old! I can buy new points and condenser to send with,unless you have a liking to a certain brand?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 31 Jan 2016 5:31:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: