New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

69firebird19
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  6:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are some things to look for when buying a pontiac 400 block well any block? Ima use it to build me a 461 strocker...so far i know he said its a 69 block, standard bore...he sent me a pic and it has some rust im guessing that will clean off...when i take the block to get it preped...he is asking $400 how much are they worth?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  6:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
69 block is a good one, they're worth what people pay but i don't think 400 is terrible. I'd rather pay that for a greasy old pull with the brackets etc there that hasn't been touched yet, but you take what you can find.
Go to Top of Page

69firebird19
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  7:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there are hard to find over here in california
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7216 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  9:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Cort, a greasy grimy old lump that's complete is my number 1 choice. Even better if I have to pull it or buy a whole car with it for "parts". I'm always suspicious of "blocks", "builds" and the like.

There are still some deals out there if you're patient and aren't in a hurry. If you don't have the time, proceed with great caution.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, you remarked: "Agree with Cort, a greasy grimy old lump that's complete is my number 1 choice."

Keeping as many original parts together will save many long hours hunting them down later. Old, grungy parts can be cleaned and refurbished to look new. I agree as well.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: