455 rebuild
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be better to use a 67 iron intake w/q/jet or a performer w/q/jet on a 455 .030 over and 1976 6x4 heads w/mild cam . Not for the drag strip. Just a cruiser.????? Thanks

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  6:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The iron intake weighs a lot more than the Performer. However, the weight difference, in my opinion, is insignificant. The intake port dimensions on the stock intake are larger than the dimensions of the Performer. The ports are not very close in size to conventional gaskets. When you throw in a larger Fel-Pro, the ports are noticeably smaller. I ran both on my TA and have the iron intake on it right now instead of the Edelbrock unit. The Edelbrock's ports were resized and some casting flash removed before it was installed. Also the holes of the water crossover are smaller than the stock unit too. Why the difference? I don't know. My personal preference is the stock unit. I don't think you can go wrong with it for everyday driving. If you want an aluminum manifold look, simply paint it with aluminum or silver engine paint instead of Pontiac blue.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the only real choices are the performer RPM (there is a different between the performer and the RPM) and the stock. The performer seems to be slower in the 1.4. That being said, for a street driver, there would likely be no difference if you already had the performer. Lastly, the performer rpm is taller so you'll be playing some linkage games, and it's annoying on shaker setups. HOWEVER, i like the RPM simply because it lets you swap between square and spread bore without an adapter. If i'm having a problem that points to the carb, or have an issue somewhere and need to get home, i can grab literally anything and throw on there to get by. Not really an issue when a project is complete, but good in the middle of things being switched around.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  2:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RPM is definitely night and day different from the regular Performer. Not sure what body OP is running but just be aware it's a virtual impossibility to install one on a Firebird or Formula without losing the stock hood for a shaker, or worse yet cutting a hole in the stock hood.

We non-TA F-body owners are basically screwed in this regard and our intake choices are limited with stock hoods. I chose a repro HO intake as a result and reworked it since I love the stock intake but can't justify adding all that weight back on to the car esp. with aluminum heads.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stock intake with some mods and port matching will flow 98% of the rpm. Unless your going to spend a lot of time above 5800 rpms the rpm would be overkill IMO. Also a lot less cobbling of linkages and such.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

bluebird
Cochise

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  12:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used an RPM on my 67 bird with stock scoops and had to swap to an edelbrock air cleaner to clear the hood. Plus some minor linkage mods. One that I might add, haunted me, but not necessarily an RPM problem.
The story goes:
I tried to gain maximum "throttle" with adjustable throttle linkage and everytime I gave it gas, in drive, it would rev out of control. I found that the linkage behind the engine was right on the back of the block and by giving it gas, the engine torque would raise the engine thus push on the linkage touching back of block giving it more throttle. Would not do it in park, only when driving! Had to kill engine a few times, before I figured it out.

"Experience is the best teacher, unfortunately, it's the costliest!"

Edited by - bluebird on 13 Nov 2015 12:54:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

bluebird
Cochise

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  07:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also on the RPM intake I had to enlarge the water cooling passages and gasket match to the larger performance felpro gaskets.

"Experience is the best teacher, unfortunately, it's the costliest!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: