New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  3:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so in my previous post I learned that the 61 full size car is a"B" body. Thanks!

Now, another question,
I'm starting to look for a suitable car, I see many with these lovely 8 lug wheels. Suppose I find a good car but it doesn't have these. I searched around and find that the rears are a drum and liner that bolts to the axel flange. What about the front? Is there a special hub required? Or is it one piece?

I did find a place that makes new wheels in various sizes and offsets. Another place reconditions the drum assemblies. Does someone make a complete installation, fronts and rear? I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap but I have better than 2 grand in wheels and tires on my Willys so I would expect somewhere near this.
Thanks

tjs44
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  7:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just buy a complete set of drum,front and rear.Make sure what you buy will be right for your front spindles.They will not be cheap if in good shape.FYI,bargin ones might need to be relined.There is a go no go dia.Do some real research.You might post in the tech section on performanceyears.com Tom
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is that?I have a 62 GP with radials with no issue.Have also had a 63 GP in the past.14in are a little harder to find but if you really want 8 lugs there are 15in wheels avil which opens up you tire options.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember if buying a set, there are differences for the years. 65 and 66 have a different backset than 63 and 64 versions. 62 and earlier have a different backset too along with a different "fin angle". It's a problem with how the hub meets backing plate. Double check that stuff for proper compatability.
Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2016 :  1:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, now the question came up:
What exactly is the bolt pattern dimension for the 8 lug wheels/hubs.? The rear is a standard 5 on 5...? But the front is a spindle mount. So what is the 8 bolt pattern diameter?

I scoured the Internet for this but I got nothing but a smart azz comment.

Supposedly there is a company that makes reproduction 8 lug brake hubs. ....again push comes to shove and I got a blank. Is there such a company?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2017 :  7:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you still looking for answers ?? i might be able to help !!
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2017 :  9:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, still looking or answers
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2017 :  2:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For 8 lug wheels i got the 16' x 7 chrome very good quality !
www.bopengineering.com check your clearance on backspace !!

8 lug drums (specify year)
Z & L Machine, Larry, bought Arrowhead assets when they went poof. 815 735 4002, New Lenox, IL. Les

front disc brake conversion ! Ames now has Scarebird brakets along with all parts (kit) to complete job !! 1 800 421 2637 or buy brakets from scarebird like i did & use their parts list to buy rotors/calipers & rest of the parts at local parts house !!

Ram Air has lots of B-body stuff also !
http://www.ramairrestoration.com/pontiac.html

PMT for trailing arms + other suspension !!
http://pmtfabrication.com/

For spring spacers, shock extenders ect. front or rear
http://www.mcbayperformance.com/

hope you get the drums at a good price i have not checked yet but all i need is front hats for my disc brake con. which are rear 8 lug drums with drum part machined off leaving just the front part with the 8 lug studs !!reason for rear is the 5 bolt part behind center cap is needed to fit on rotor !! just in case you ever get this far !!

Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bentwings

did you check out BOP engineering for wheels yet ???

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: