One piece large journal seal is here?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  3:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember someone mentioned BOP eng. had a one piece seal out quite awhile ago but it was only the small journal engines. I randomly thought about it today and went to check and it seems like the large journal one is now available too for those of us with 421-428-455 engines (link below.)

http://www.bopengineering.com/beltdrive_acc_topend.shtml

FWIW, i put a two piece viton seal from them in my 428 and it didn't leak. I had my builder put a best gasket rope seal in my 455 and it leaked a little. I know 2 engines isn't a sample size, both were stock cranks. But:

I talked to Don Johnston when a month or so ago when he looked at my 66 catalina i had for sale. He owns DCI (http://www.dcimotorsports.com/) and i believe he is the designer of the pontiac tiger heads and does a fair amount of pontiac engine work, especially where i'm at (NEOhio) He claims they are the best head for pontiacs avail right now, from 400hp up to 1000+, he claims they can have the right port velocity and volume for street or race, but i digress.

He said that he didn't like viton for stock cranks because of the seal grooves/marks on the crank causing leaks unless they were removed. So, for those of you with stock cranks, maybe these seals aren't for us.

That being said, i have a 428 with stock crank back in the rebuild shop i've been dragging feet on, and i was kind of hoping that this seal would come out before that motor went back together since it seems that anyone could install that correctly and not have issues.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

since it seems that anyone could install that correctly and not have issues.

Except for those who could screw up an anvil.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2015 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P-Body has posted many times about the stock crank serrations and aftermarket crank smooth finish as they relate to both the rope style and BOP seals. His points/experiences always made sense to me.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  9:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What P body says does make sense, however the seal he installed in my engine leaks at a fair rate. I'm not sure we can win with a stock crank unless you have it ground smooth. I don't remember right now what seal he installed though.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  9:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If i had to guess, likely the best gasket rope one? I thought i had a decent leak on my 71, turned out near the end that it was the trans out the front gasket between the bearing and the trans (i suspect) because i had the NP440 retainer ring turned down to fit the bell and didn't use enough sealant near the oil passage there. When i moved it this year, was mainly gear oil and not that much oil (maybe thimble full of oil?). Was also the best gasket rope. The 2 piece viton that i used on the 420 turned out not to leak at all, but the motor came out for other reasons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: