Lessons Learned: Using POR-15
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  08:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great product. But like using tools, there's a learning curve and I found out something this morning with the product that I'm passing on to anyone who uses the product for the first time.

There is a "shelf" life to paints and coatings. POR-15 is a coating. Several months ago, I treated some minor rust areas and applied POR-15 to these small areas. The product came in a 1/2 pint can. It was stirred as directed and applied with a brush, giving the area two full coats--also as directed. The product, as mentioned, has a shelf life. One of the things recommended is once it is opened to keep it in a cool place (no not a penthouse) like a refrigerator. Well, yesterday, working on the TA's radiator support, I retrieved the little can and put it in the garage overnight. This morning it was time to apply the first coat, and the lid would not come off. I pried and pried and the lid began pulling up the inner lip of the can. I never got it opened. The remaining contents of the can is lost. No church key is large enough to pop a hole and using shears to rip away the lid will more than likely cause clean up problems on me and the floor.

So, if you are going to use POR-15, prep all the surfaces that need to be treated at once. Leave very little for another day. Use what you have up or it will probably be wasted,

Now this was a tiny can of the stuff. I was reluctant to buy a large can because of the shelf life and having so little rust to treat. As it turned out, the little can would have worked just fine, but I screwed up by not using it all up in one felled swoop.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  09:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,Been years since I used it,but I remember putting plastic wrap over the opening of the can,put the cover on,and,as Pitts said,I turned it upside down for storage. I then got the lid off a day or two later.
My beef with it was that the semi-gloss looked like crap on my undercarriage applied with a brush.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 27 Nov 2014 09:33:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  4:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I got the rest our of the can and worked it where it was needed. The remainder is lost. Oh well.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: