LS 67 GTO
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Caprio
Tribal Scout

21 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2014 :  2:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looking for some opinions on putting an LS motor in a 67 GTO.
Thank you,
Bill

Bill Caprio

WDCreech
Sitting Bull

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  12:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my personal opinion, I think it sucks! I would never put "Chevy" engine in a Pontiac! You can talk corporate all you want, but it's still a Chevrolet designed engine.

Bill
64 tube chassis GTO, 606 cu" IA tall deck, Superchief heads, glide, 2750lbs, 8.2550 @ 164.17, 1.1981-60'
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  09:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of any of the body styles with an LS engine in them, the 66-67 looks the most "natural" to me. They stick out like a sore thumb in the 68-72s. I see them at goodguys events and they do seem to look good. I'm a diehard pontiac fan, but a 66-67 with an LS is a potent street machine. Of course you have to complete the protrouing/restomod theme with larger wheels, lowered, etc, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Caprio
Tribal Scout

21 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  11:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was a thought but I really love the look of an old school 428 with a Tripower on it. I was just looking for some feedback on it. I was always against it but recently saw a 65 with an LS and it looked pretty nice.

Bill Caprio
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  11:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have flip flopped on the issue. An Injected 427 small block with the matching trans make sense if thats what floats your boat.
Re-desinged oil pan, sump, and engine mounts are available. I'm sure plenty of cobbling is involved.

I'll stick with Old Skool pontiac power for as long as possible.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 29 May 2015 10:20:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's trendy like many things in the hobby. But after a lot of money invested and a few years you'll probably regret the move and want to go back to Pontiac power. They aren't very good looking engines either unless they have their lipstick and high heels plastic trash can cover mounted on top.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2014 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will say this, they're harder to market when it comes time to sell. Most people want a chevelle or camaro, so with a gto your market is pontiac guys. You already are only marketing your car to 20% of the classic car world when you sell a GTO. Then, on top of that, only like 25% are willing to look at an LS car. So now you're at like 5% of the classic car world does your car appeal to. Witness below, this car has been for sale forever. Now, even with the god awful wheels that are easily changed, you could pull 25K for this with the pontiac motor because most won't mind changing the interior back or driving it. Now it's more of a custom than a muscle car, and when you get over 20K, far and away the cars that sell over that (and over 30) are cars done in the original style. Unless you get a good ready to go body for like 5-10k, you lose on these deals. (unless, again, it's a really nicely done custom, but those sell for a ton more and sit on the market a lot longer finding another guy with your taste and money.)

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4704760499.html

Now, for a daily driver or power per $, it really is hard to beat a modern chevy drivetrain.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Caprio
Tribal Scout

21 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2014 :  2:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm staying old school, I really don't like the look as much. Maybe next car if I ever finish this one.

Bill Caprio
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO if it was a 242 body, it would fetch the 25K or more.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  10:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been shopping 68/69 GTOs for about 4 months now, convertibles are surprisingly available. while you see a lot listed in the 25-35 bracket, they're not moving, they're sitting there unless special. Standard GTOs are moving the the 25 range, but only if not butchered. Car like above would be like 18-20 because of motor swap and interior job.

I don't think people realize what they have when they sell it. I looked at an "original + 1 repaint" GTO the other day. Looking inside the trunk, the holes for the vinyl top had been filled with rivets and probably mudded over, and the panel between the back window and trunk had been welded/fiber glassed in place and painted over, and had two lower quarter patches. Now, from the outside, it was perfect and you couldn't tell. Amazingly done. Another thing i'm seeing is tons of 68-69 motors painted the later blue, and then people saying engine bay is stock. Stock didn't paint the PCV hose and grommet. There is a HUGE difference between a low 20's goat and a high 20's goat, but people selling don't care. They see a goat for sale for 35k (which has been for sale for a year) and so assume if they price at 29K they're giving a deal. Never mind their interior is dingy, an unfavorable color, their hidways don't work, and have the AC stuff is gone (it's a grand easy for AC brackets and a new correct compressor these days.)

I was hot on a GTO in chicago, but it turned out that not only did the hidaways not work (no biggie) and the AC parts were gone (ok, annoying) the owner had no idea what trans was in it, what the rear end was or the ratio or of it was posi, didn't know if the heater worked or if there was "some ductwork missing under there", radio hole was cut for aftermarket, and most the gauges didn't work or were disconnected under the hood, didn't know. So i was like, the horn, the ignition, and the shifter are all you can speak to in the interior? Anything else you don't know if original or not or what it is? How many GTO's are out there with 389's or 350's swapped in and people just don't know any better?

I know i'm probably a stingy buyer, but if you want to pry 20K+ from my hands you better A) be realistic what you have. The car was like 3500 new and you're getting way more now AFTER it's in worse condition, i'm not paying off your mortgage here. and B) KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE AND THE "UPGRADES" YOU DID TO IT ARE KILLING THE RESALE.

Ok, end rant, sorry guys, it's been a long hunt talking to guys with "survivors" and "rare big block cars" and "real deal gto lemans sports"
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Cort,if you'd be interested in a 71' 4-speed, A/C car, I'd sell mine if I had the right offer. I'd be happy to get what I paid for it when I bought it. I'm pretty sure I could talk your ear off with engine/trans specs,engine build details, and will tell you the FEW things that DON'T work on the car.
I just want something to play with,I'm tired of the original/#'s matching deal holding me back.
I'd be happy with a solid Tempest/LeMans with a 455 (or one I could put one in!).

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 19 Nov 2014 10:43:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2014 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotta find an automatic so the wife can drive it to shows while i drive the truck (truck is stick and i don't quite trust anyone to drive it yet)

My dad has a 69 conv with hideaways that hasn't been on the road since i was probably 5-8 yrs old, that's the look that always meant muscle to me so that's what i'm chasing. I will say, our 71's are not carrying the value that the 68-69s are, but some of the nice ones are coming close! I saw one close over 40, but it was a judge or Ram air or something.

You know, i DO have my 71 T-37 up for sale to replenish the savings i pillaged to set aside for the 69 GTO...4 speed, OD, 455 car, aftermarket air. Prolly not worth near the value of your GTO though, i'd think you'd lose on the trade in the $$$ department. In the angry burnout department you'd likely come out ahead :)
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2015 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too believe that putting another engine in a Pontiac that is not a Pontiac is just wrong. IMO it also reduces the price of the car.
Our Pontiac's are become scarce , especially on the West Coast.
Do you think those Mopar guys on TV would put a Chevy in their Super Bee or a Road Runner?
Go to Top of Page

goatman
Tribal Scout

16 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2015 :  4:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say nay on the LS!
I think You're on the right track with a tri-power 428!

Brett Humpert
69 GTO convertible

Edited by - goatman on 22 May 2015 4:12:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Caprio
Tribal Scout

21 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2015 :  9:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm staying old school.

Bill Caprio
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2015 :  04:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timely-
http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9741

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Bill Caprio
Tribal Scout

21 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2015 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too much technology can get frustrating I'm sure!

Bill Caprio
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  06:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Engine swapping of any kind was a basis for hot rodding for years. I guess somewhere in the 60's was when a lot of that changed.

I prefer Pontiac motors in Pontiacs. I'm always disappointed when I see a Pontiac sporting an engine from another brand.

The early LS transplants were a bit expensive. You had to source a lot of stuff too. Now there's all sorts of aftermarket stuff to help get LS power in your car. LS engines seem to be plentiful now that they have been around for a while now.

To me, it's all in what you are trying to do. If you building an ultra Pro Touring car with a lot of fancy electronics, I can see it. LS engines produce a lot of power and torque. Plus, they are light in weight being all aluminum. I forgot about the fuel mileage too.

On the other hand, there are some people who just throw an old small block Chevy in there because they don't know and understand Pontiac power plants. This is a shame because they could really have something with a little study and forethought. I don't care what people say. Pontiac engines are not that much more to rebuild than other engine. All big block type engines cost a bit more to build than the smaller engines.

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  11:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I have a buddy who is a Mopar guy. He was wanting to buy something to fix up. He came across a 70 Chevy Nomad wagon that needs an engine and trans for a decent price and thought it would work good for him since he his married and has 3 young kids. All the Chevy guys are suggesting LS this LS that. Well like I said, he's a Mopar guy so he has a 440 and 318 sitting in his garage. I have him talked into slammin' that 440 in there. Let's see how the Chevy guys like it.

I also told him if ever puts a Mopar engine in a Pontiac then we won't be friends anymore. I can't hang with people like that. Lol
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2016 :  11:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chevy guys probably wont know the difference.

mopar guy, better have a defibrillator handy.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: