New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Racinrick
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  9:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, just joined the forum and the blood is pumping! Glad to be here, hoping to pick up on some friends, advice, and insight as time moves on. I remember at the age of 19, when I was driving my 63 Galaxie with the 260 2spd at, the thrill and shock of hitting passing gear in my older sister's '71 GP with a 400 for the first time....Holy Moses!...from driving a car one didn't dare try to pass to a car that would literally sail over the car one was passing....the a 72 Grandville 455 outrunning all the local cops and highway patrol on a 3 mile stretch on the way home after dumping the date. Dad wouldn't let me buy a GTO for sure or Lemans unless it was a 350. Since that time I have owned several GTOs and believe it or not, 6 SD TransAms...all gone. All is left is a 1971 Lemans Sport convertible bought as a family driver last running in 1989...you know kids, etc have a way of distracting you :) The Lemans ran a best then of 12.93 at 105 on 8" slicks and typically ran 13.15's in full street trim with 3.50 gear, AC, TH400, 2000 stall, and a Comp Cams 268 with 6X-8 headed 1.77 ex, 1.65 rockers, EB Torker, 800cfm 6213 Holley, Appliance headers, on the 455. Looking to build this car into a nice recreational street driver, but go to the Texas Motorplex a few times each summer. Goal is to break into the 12's in street trim with closed exhaust, and have good manners. Have secured a switch-pitch TH400 that will stall 2500, still have the 455 (being rebuilt at Allard Auto Machine, and in Texas must have functioning AC. I need thoughts on camming. After several SD's, I love the sound of that 744 and the broad torgue range still pulling hard at 6000. Revs will be limited to 5000, and Rhoads lifters would be acceptable but I don't want to pull the valve covers replacing valve springs every weekend either on too high a lift cam.. Crower 60919? The Torker intake is missing (never liked it anyway) so an RPM? Thank you very much.

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  5:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Racinrick, welcome to the forum. I have a 70 LeMans no where near the performance of your build. You mentioned the 744 cam, I don't know how much cam you want but the Summit 2802 is very close in duration. According to Jim Hands book the performer rpm is good to 6500 rpm (engine size not specified) and the performer to 5600 rpm with a 462 ci engine. Is Texas Motorplex the track near Ennis?

bt in houston

I want a LS engine in my Pontiac
Go to Top of Page

Racinrick
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  7:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Beertracker, yea the TM is near Ennis, my hometown actually. Did a lot of racing there back in the day, I remember the day Billy Meyer opened it and set drag tracks on end....watched Eddie Hill break 4 seconds :) I like the 2802 specs except I am going to use the 1.65 roller tip rockers left over from CompCams. For long term the combination may be too much...but again I don't know. The block is zero decked, and the chambers measured out at 96cc before adding in valve reliefs, another 6 cc, so 101. I guess CR will be in the neighborhood of 9.2-9.5. I raced my 11K miled original 4 spd SD there in 1990 Musclecar Nats....redlighted against a 75 TA with a 455 4spd. We together had already taken out the field of Buicks, Chevelles, and Cudas. :) Trouble is I was a full .35 secs quicker than he was :( Ran a best that day of 13.72 at 104...no tinkering whatsoever...in 96 degree heat.
Go to Top of Page

rtanner
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  08:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rick, ronnie tanner here, im from fairfield, tx motorplex is my home track to, and ive used allards, are you from ennis? ok, definitly use the summit 2801 (068 clone w more lift) use the 1.65s, thats almost the twin combo to what i ran in my 69 judge, low low 13s on real radials spinning w 2plus 60 foots, if you do go 2802 definitly use the original style rhoades, that combo is my 69 firebird right now, do you know Larry Parks from ennis? he is a big pontiac guy long time friend
Go to Top of Page

Racinrick
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2016 :  11:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ronnie, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Yes I know Jimmy Allard! He's built a number of engines for me...they always work like they should. In fact, he's going to freshen this engine for me. I don't know Larry Parks, I did have to face Larry Feester from Avalon multiple times when I was campaigning my 69 Buick 455 GS, and Melon (aka Bruno) in the yellow 69 440 GTX :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: