New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smogboy
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have found very good advice, and knowledge on this forum. Experience here helped me solve my overheating problem {Running too hot}. I have been running the car with a 400 Turbo and a 3.89:1 gear, it is a 66 Tempest 462 cu in Pontiac Mechanical roller, Eagle forged rotating assmbly. 4days ago I broke the 34 element sprag, and lost second gear. The trans. is full manual forward, Alto red clutches,dual feeding the directs,Torrington in tailshaft position, 727 retainer ring on the intermediates, also a 3500 converter, 2" deeper pan, 6AN lines to a supercooler.I was wonddering about switching to a powerglide with a brake and aftermarket bellhousing? I am not sure where to go from here? Maybe there is away to beef up the 400 more, but I hear this is a common problem at higher HP levels. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glides have been used behind BBC's and some pontiacs with success for decades. Drag racers like the consistency of only one shift. But the shafts, gears, and hubs are smaller and pretty much everything must be upgraded to hardened parts to handle big HP and torque numbers.

A good trans guy should be able to cushion the 1-2 shift on the 400 and reduce the shock on the sprag. IMO

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  8:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a 400 is about the toughest you'll find. There's something inherently wrong that needs to be addressed with yours, then it will be dead nuts reliable.

I wouldn't use a glide unless you've significantly lightened the car AND don't use it on the street because they are lousy street tranny's.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 25 Aug 2014 8:49:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

smogboy
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the 400 it has worked well, but I'm not sure about it holding up to this engine. I am just trying to figure out what can be done to eliminate this issue, maybe wavy steel plates back in the intermediates to cushion the shift, or put the accumulator back stock in the valve body. I have never harmed a 400, but now with this roller 462 I have hurt one pretty bad. Thank you for your advice, and patience wit the new guy. One thing I can say for sure this pontiac power and torque is eye opening scary!!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  3:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T-400's can be set up to reliably handle 1000, 1500 it more HP. If you have it set up for your needs it should outlast many other things on the car (assuming it's properly maintained).

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Armadillo
Sitting Bull

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2014 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a th400 running now in a roller motor. When I first got the engine it fried all the clutches in 6 months. I went with the blue plates and a transgo kit. worked for me drag racing for about 7 years no problem. Had it rebuilt this year and the shop said that the 2nd gear plates were turning blue and the frictions were a little worn. When I warm up the tires that I go into the water do a little spin, put in 2nd and heatem up till they grip and let out of it. So they should be blued and worn. I know my little 433 is not a 462 but I am putting about 400 or so to the wheels.

Tom

Will I ever be done?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: