Swap Bushings in Car?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  3:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the 66 catalina, my upper front control arm bushings are shot. There's no rubber left in one side at all, and the other you can get a pencil between the rubber and shaft. Amazingly, the ball joints and lower bushings are all good. I want to paint and do an engine swap/tranny re-seal in this car this winter, but i'd like to just do this part of the suspension now and not get into a rebuild. If i'm taking the arms off, then the balljoints are getting done, and then i'm doing shocks and springs and more bushings...you know how it goes.

Mine are the upper cross shafts with the internal threads where the bolts hold them in with a big washer. It almost looks like there's enough room to use a C-Clamp style press to press or cut the old ones out and then press the new ones in. Has anyone pulled this off before? I'd love to do it and continue driving the car into the fall, i kind of miss it.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would remove the upper arm and replace bushings and joint. Then it will be done. 2 cents.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  9:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know but i'm so lazy after restoring this truck :-/ Just once i'd like to do what needs done and no go overboard. It will start with bushings and end up with a 1100hp twin turbo monster. Self control: I don't have it :(
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlUrcXE-yc

There is a bunch of movies on youtube on how to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

and end up with a 1100hp twin turbo monster. :(

I'm for it.

Video: I just collapse the outer shell with an air chisel and knock em out in half the time without all the drama.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  3:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can get them out no problem i'm sure, i'm just wondering about pressing the new ones in, without taking the A arm off the car. taking the A arm off, would be cake to do the whole job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: