Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

71 Lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  8:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy fellas,
Im in the middle of a transmission conversion for my 71 lemans. I am converting from a T350 to an M22 and I have a question about the angle of the tailshaft of the transmission. My crossmemeber has been through at least a couple field repairs prior to my owning the vehicle, so the geometry is a bit screwed up. One end of the crossmember has been repaired with a bit of steel that is too thick and the other end is rusted away and bent. So I am repairing the crossmember but need to know what angle the tailshaft should be relative to the frame rails of the car. I have a book that calls out 4.2 degrees to the centerline of the driveshaft but I dont have one to fit and measure. If any of you fellas have time and an angle finder, I would be quite interested to know what the angle is from the front of the block to the frame rails. The only other method I could come up with is to center the fan in the shroud. Any help or prior lessons learned greatly appreciated. thanks,
cheers jimbo

Project 71 T-37

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7223 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  09:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of agony by replacing the crossmember with an unmolested one. Why swim to Shanghai when you can go first class on a plane? ;-)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  10:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
relative to the frame is not the issue.
The difference in the trans to drive shaft angle should be close to the drive shaft to pinion angle. Keeping in mind the pinion tries to move upward when loaded.
A small digital level would be helpful.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

71 Lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  11:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies fellas. Phil, I do plan on buying a new crossmember in the near future, but for now I am trying to get a bunch of other stuff sorted, clutch linkage, backdrive assy ect.ect. I am hoping to get some of those things knocked off the list while waiting for the xmember, so I am wanting to use the old one as a surrogate until then. So, if I knew the factory engine pitch angle I could shim the old one in place. Blue, thanks for the reply, I understand the critical dimensions given for the installation are angles between the tails shaft, driveline, and pinion, but I don't have a driveline currently that fits in the car. Also the car is on jack stands all around as I am waiting on tires, so I can't measure the pinion angle to back out the engine angle, so instead, if I can get the installed engine block front face or tail shaft angle to the frame rail, I can pitch the engine where I need it to sort the rest of the stuff. Thanks for the help fellas,
Cheers jimbo

Project 71 T-37
Go to Top of Page

71 Lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  4:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have an angle finder? Driveline to frame rail angle would also work if you have stock springs. Any help greatly appreciated,
Cheers jimbo

Project 71 T-37
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  4:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a cheap angle gauge with a magnetic base at my local big box store for,I believe,about $5,to check my pinion/driveshaft angles.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  4:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine is lowered and an aftermarket crossmember, can't really help :(
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7223 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  10:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hardware stores usually have the gauges too. Pretty cheap.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be interested to see the drive line to frame specification.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 04 Aug 2014 9:20:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

71 Lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also download an inclineometer app for iphone for $0.99. If anyone out there has a stock ride height 68-72 GTO/Lemans, please find or download an anglefinder app, and report back the angular difference between the driveline and the framerails, or between the block forward face and the framerails, ill reimburse your $0.99 and send you a 6 pack o beer. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas,
cheers jimbo

Project 71 T-37
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  4:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, got my gauge out. The face of the passenger head is 88* (2* off of straight up and down, leaning back towards the back of the car.)

I have a driveshaft loop from RARE that goes between the tranny mount and the tranny, and that would change things ever so slightly, but i show that as the same 2* downward slant. The frame, where the crossmember mounts exactly, front to back, is perfectly level. I am lowered 1.5" all the way around, but thinking about it, i don't see how that changes anything really here, not enough to matter, and you should be able to double check everything when you check your driveshaft/pinion angle difference after the driveshaft is installed.

Hope that helps!
Go to Top of Page

71 Lemans
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  5:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cort you are the man. Thanks very much for the help. Let me know where to send the beer. Thanks again,
cheers jimbo

Project 71 T-37
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  8:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy to help, i didn't want to jack it up and have it throw the gauge off, so that's all i could manage reaching from the side.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: