New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vin63
Tribal Scout

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  4:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some traction issues in Phoenix for the Pontiac event in April, peddling it a few times, and tagged 10K RPMs on consecutive runs (track was less than ideal).

We went to Famoso for the 1st Saturday Night Nitro event of 2014 and tried to push our 6.35 ET a bit. Left the weight on the clutch and blew off the tires (the track was really well prepped). Anyway, here's what 10K RPMs looks like

http://youtu.be/rV2vODpnzjI

Track photographer Bob Brown caught the car just as it went into wheel spin and put out a cylinder:

The data download:

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  10:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's sounds good. Hope to see that monster hook up soon!

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 31 Jul 2014 10:33:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  11:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.

I LOVE these Pontiac Powered high-powered cars. This, the Butler car, the flat black 69 GTO that was at Norwalk last year (i think formerly the "Dirty Bird" that Mr. P-Body had a hand in?)

I only wish we could get them all at Norwalk together.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  8:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man! That's some serious business right there! Being that fast with a Pontiac is an awesome accomplishment!

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  8:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yup, Vinnie is rewriting the "stock block" and "400" books. Obviously, they can "take" a WHOLE LOT more than conventional wisdom. IIRC, you went 6.90s @ 200 with a nodular crank? Keep makin' that elephant herd nervous, Vin!

The blackish '69 is Steve Dale's "Goateus Maximus", current ET "record" of 6.11. I heard (but have not verified), Jeff Kauffman, at Norwalk this past weekend, managed a 6.15 @ 241! The ET is still a little "short", but that's 12 MPH faster than GM or the Butler car have gone. Didn't hear any reports on Eric Larson's nitro funny.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Vin63
Tribal Scout

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  11:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, nodular crank and a Pro 7.0 alcohol tune. I wouldn't advise that, but we wanted to see how far we could push the outside of the envelope with careful machining and balancing.

From the Norwalk reports, Jeff Kauffman ran a 6.17/241 and 6.15/238-ish?those symmetrical heads are making some big horsepower. Several people said the track was not quite there. IIRC, Eric ran a 6.39 in the Boss Bird. From the sound of it, if the track was better, both would have recorded better ETs.

Edited by - Vin63 on 07 Aug 2014 11:04:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  7:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the update!

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: