New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  10:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a good recommendation for a set of rear shocks for the 68 firebird. It still has the 70's popular air shocks that kinda scare me. I run them probably 3/4 pumped to give it a nice stance and some absorption. Im looking to switch to a gas, and not loose the ride height which I like. A good launch once in awhile, but mainly a street car. I installed new factory height leafs two years ago. Also added traction bars then. Recommendations?

Robb Hermes

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old school method was to just use longer spring shackles at the rear. That's how we made room for taller slicks. Some don't like the look tho.

Edited by - bigD on 17 Jul 2014 5:13:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put Bilsteins on my 74 Firebird front and rear and have been happy with them.

Like you, I removed a set of air shocks at the same time. I used to have a problem with carrying passengers in the rear and rubbing the tires against the fender lip. I haven't tried putting passengers in the back seat since the shock replacement but the ride high suggests that I will be golden.
Go to Top of Page

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2014 :  5:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for which shocks are best--who knows ? They are priced from less than $20 each to well over $200 each.

Lot's of choices to fit a '68 Bird. Here's some cheaper ones that look like they may be decent.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/16897/name/KG5521-KYB-Gasajust-Monotube-Various-Cars

If you got a few more bucks to spend, you can buy Bilsteins.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/14030/name/AK2074-Bilstein-GM-and-Lincoln-Cars

Or how about some Koni adjustables ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-Classic-Shocks-Absorbers-Chevrolet-Camaro-amp-Firebird-67-69-Rears-Pair-/390725727123?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Edited by - bigD on 18 Jul 2014 11:30:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  06:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Brian said. You can't go wrong with Bilsteins. I've tried many different shocks for the street over the years, and found the Bilsteins to be far superior. However, as you orobably know shocks won't affect ride height as that is controlled by the springs (except for coil overs and air shocks).

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: