New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

klc
Tribal Scout

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  7:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope I'm doing this right and in the right place. I'm not real computer savy. I am building a 1938 Pontiac tudor slant back. I am, or used to be a Chevy man, but am fast becoming a Pontiac man. My dad was a Pontiac man so when I saw this old Poncho up in Illinois, I bought it and drug it home. It's gonna be a resto mod. Looks like a'38 Pontiac from the outside but with upgraded drive train and some creature comforts. It'll have a '60 Pontiac 389 tri-power, TH400, and a '78 Trans-am rear end. I'm gonna try to pattern the interior fabric after a '60 Bonneville. The body is now in the paint/body shop and I'm in the process of finishing the engine build. I finished it once and started it, but have since come across some 540306 heads and a 540510 aluminium intake. I think I'll use the 306 heads but I,ve already got the SD 552 intake. Any suggestions? Well I'll finish this book now and get into one of the tech. sections where I probably belong. I've got a lot questions.

klc

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, first off, welcome to the PSP forum.

Secondly, your project sounds interesting, and putting everything together like you want will generate lots of questions. Sound off when something arises and you're sure to get comments back to help you solve things.

Your question about heads and intake probably best fit into the Restoration and Performance category as do other general engine questions.

The 540306 heads are 68 cc or so; they are high compression heads that used leaded premium gasoline. While many enthusiasts still run high compression heads today, you may have to use a mixture of pump and racing gas to avoid damaging bearings and pistons.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 20 Jun 2014 07:46:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

klc
Tribal Scout

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2014 :  4:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice Bill.

klc
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  6:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2014 :  11:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard been awhile since I have been around work keeping me busy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: