New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  05:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to be a great new product. Everybody I've read about who tried one, says it is easy to install and doesn't leak.

Butler has done some testing and seems to think highly of 'em. I'm not trying to promote any one or more businesses, person or people--just this one product, which is the BOP one piece seal. I'm sure these will be sold by other businesses.

But hey, for anybody who don't like anything but rope seals, just use the Best Gasket ropes and be happy.

Back in the '70's and '80's I bought neoprene seals for my 455 bracket motors from H-O Racing Specialties. I think they were actually made for 500 Caddy engines. I've read that the neoprene is actually tuffer than Viton--opinions differ. Anyhow, they worked great. Never had a problem with any of 'em.

For all Viton seals, it is suggested that the serrations on the crank be polished down, IF they are aggressive, but no more than .006. Here's some links with more info.

http://www.bopengineering.com/beltdrive_acc_topend.shtml

http://www.bopengineering.com/rms_18_installation_instructions.pdf

http://www.butlerperformance.com/products/gaskets/rear_main_seals.html

http://www.tinindianperformance.com/will-pontiac-crankshaft-serrations-shred-chew-up-a-tin-indian-performance-viton-rear-main-seal/

Edited by - bigD on 19 Jun 2014 10:52:41 AM

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1675 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  08:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fwiw, the dick head at Tin Indian Performance gets his rear main seals from the other dick heads at KRE. They are fakes... NOT made from real Viton material.
Go to Top of Page

ledhed76
Cochise

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  08:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha
Go to Top of Page

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  11:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer NOT to badmouth any of the big name Pontiac guys. They all know more about Pontiacs than me. I don't like some of their high prices. But I appreciate many of the products they bring to market, and the performance they have achieved on the tracks, dyno, and flow bench.

Back in the old days, there were no alum heads for Pontiac. No aftermarket blocks. No cheap stroker cranks. No cheap forged rods. Well, you get the picture. It's easy to make big power with a Pontiac motor now, thanks to all these aftermarket parts. Or you can still go with a factory block and heads. I think all this is good for all Pontiac fans.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used 2 of the new one piece rear main seals and one of the one piece pan gaskets.Not one problem with either so far.Tom
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did they make a one piece for the large journal cranks yet?
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1675 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2014 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I personally prefer NOT to badmouth any of the big name Pontiac guys"

If one lies, steals or offers crappy tech service from you it could factor into your opinion !

Edited by - Steve C. on 19 Jun 2014 1:22:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly