Looked at a 455 the other day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  10:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the junk yard and the owner tells me he has a re-built 455 that I may be interested in. So I take a look and here is what I found. I am wondering if I made a wise decision?

455 long block rebored .030 over.
It had .030 over forged Speed Pro pistons 6cc which had not been run.
I don't know if the rods were resized and ARP bolts used or if forged rods were installed.
Factory crank, timing cover.
I don't know if new main and rod bearings were installed.
New freeze plugs.
Unknown cam model, no lifters.
I don't if it had new cam bearings.
Looked like old oil pump, old timing gear set\chain.
Two mis-matched 6x heads, one of which was supposed to have been rebuilt.
$400 for all. Is this a good deal???

The block had rust spot near cylinder top where water had pooled. For this reason I passed on the deal. The seller told me it will clean up but I am the one who has to foot the machinist bill.

I know it's a crap shoot. It's hard to judge how bad rust is without seeing it first hand. This was more than a light coating of rust.

I want a LS engine in my Pontiac

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  11:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The SP L2359NF30 pistons sell for over $300 from Summit. If the block is good except for one cylinder, a sleeve will make it good as new for $125-$150. A usable crank and 6x heads have got to be worth something. I'd check out the pistons real good. If they are actually brand new pistons in ready to use condition, then I don't see how you could go wrong. If you don't use all the parts there are some you can sell.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  12:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plan on a complete overhaul.
Are the date codes different on the heads or are they different cc's

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  09:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a terrible cylinder in my 455, and has bigd said, sleeve fixed it. I couldnt even tell it had been done. It sounds like a decent deal, especially if the 6x heads were the same cc. Figure even being cheap thats 400-450hp on a budget and tons of torque.
Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  10:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

Plan on a complete overhaul.
Are the date codes different on the heads or are they different cc's

They are different cc's; one is -4 and the other -8. I told the seller about this and he didn't understand plus he would not budge on the price even if I bought the short block alone. I would never run different chamber sizes.

Good idea about re-sleeving one cylinder. I never thought of that. I suppose since Pont 455 blocks are no longer made they can only go up in price.

I want a LS engine in my Pontiac
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LMAO, he didn't even get it once you explained it? I'd still take it, maybe sell the heads for $100 a piece, or find single heads of -4 and -8, sell one matched set and used the other. IMHO, the 455 is the best starting block for a super budget street build. You get all the torque you want which is fun on the street, pick a mild cam to match the heads you have and have fun. Now, once you want to break through that 450HP-500Hp barrier, roller cams, better heads, and strokers start to come into play. But for that 400hp run around town and have vacuum at great levels and be mild and not too choppy and not need high compression? That's right up the factory 455's alley.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: