New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OttoOrange
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  9:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my 1968 Firebird convertible back together and am having a weird issue that I hope you guys can shed some light on. The details on the car:

1973 400 Block .030" Bored
#62 Heads
14cc Dish Pistons
Measured 9.2 CR
Stock Exhaust Manifolds
1968 Quadrajet
Comp Cams XE262
Stock Coil and Condenser
Breakerless SE Single Wire Ignition

Overall the car runs great. But, three times in the last week, I'll be cruising down the road at 60 MPH, and the engine just shuts down. No sputtering or missing, just like the key was turned off. I can put the car in neutral and start it right back up, even before it coasts to a stop. In my mind, since it happens with no other symptoms, its got to be an ignition problem, but since it's so intermittent, I am not sure where to start to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  9:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know those cars that well, but check the HEI power wire connection (likely not it but easy check) and is there a neutral safety switch that might be messing up? If so, i'm guessing it'd be on the column under the dash?
Go to Top of Page

OttoOrange
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  10:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, TH400 auto transmission.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  10:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm 99% sure it's on the column...when it dies but the momentum is keeping it rolled over, wiggle the key switch back and forth without hitting the "start" position and see if it fires. Do the same with the shifter a little, or pop into neutral and see if it fires up, i wonder if one switch or the other (ignition or NS) is messing up?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  10:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, i have a similar build 428, how do you like your setup? I never dynoed or raced it, but it was a quick and snappy motor from idle to 5000.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  10:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, i'm mike and in ohio too, where abouts are you at?
Go to Top of Page

OttoOrange
Tribal Scout

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  11:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the setup a lot. My main issue is the rear gears. Right now, I am running a 2.78, which takes quite a bit off the line. I would like to change to a 3.23 or 3.55, but that will have to wait until next year, or my wife will leave me;)

I am located in a small town between Dayton and Lima.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  11:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I happen to have a 3.42 rear coming up for sale soon, but it's for an A body ;)

I am north a little of y-town
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly