Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1677 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  2:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In his 'NHRA 2014' post bigD mentioned he wanted to hear about any Pontiac powered cars that win anything. That post featured some big boys in NHRA.... out of our league so I'll mentioned this here.

My friend John Dinkel who maintains my Trans Am has a '78 Ford Fairmont that often runs a 526ci Pontiac we built with my second IA2 block and 415 cfm High Port heads.

It runs 1/8-mile heads up racing with true 10.5 tires and stock type suspension. Best with the Pontiac engine has been 5.14 @140.5 w/nos; 8.86@151 all motor and 8.17@172 1/4 mile w/nos.

I don't have many videos with John's car but here is one from July 2009. He can first be viewed in the right lane at 0.50 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8skCQcIX50

At that event it ran a 5.202 @ 139.1 during qualifying. Air density @ around 4000ft. Number 1 qualifier, low et every round, and won the race. This is just one example as he has won numerous 1/8-mile heads up races here in Texas and Oklahoma with Pontiac power.

And here an interesting twist, a few years ago he hurt a piston in the Pontiac and with little time for repairs he "stole" the Big Block Chevy motor from his brothers Mustang in order to enter the "Throwdown in T-town" weekend at Tulsa Raceway Park. It was a big event with a 32 car field. The Oklahoma True Ten Five Series put on this race, it was a No Wheelie Bar Shootout. With virtually no successful testing under his belt with the borrowed motor and no wheelie bars they went up to Oklahoma and whooped up ! John won the event for a $5000 pay out.

bigD
Indian Spirit

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2014 :  11:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years back, my engine guy put a Pontiac motor in a Fox body Mustang. Don't remember the year. It ran low 10's. He ran it at one of the Pinks All Out races. Shreveport, I think.

He later went to a Pinks race at No Problem track in So LA with some other Pontiac guys, and got a small speaking part. So every time they replayed that race on the Speed Channel, there he was. I ragged him a little about it and ask for his autograph.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1677 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2014 :  09:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Fairmont is also a FOX body, but about 2" longer wheelbase than a Mustang. John's brother had the Big Block Chevy in a Mustang. Also I know of at least 3 fellows on PY board that have put Pontiac engines into Mustangs over the years. The design and aftermarket parts available for the Mustang chassis is a strong point for a racing vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  1:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, Glad to see you're still around! Hope things are going great for you down in Texas (i guess you're still down there?)

I'll always remember fondly the time I got to spend with you and (screamingchief on PY, his name escapes me) a few years ago when we had dinner at Chueys, while I was on a work trip to Austin, TX.

I only regret not getting to spend more time with you fella's. and getting to go for a ride in your car.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

Edited by - PontiacMatt on 29 May 2014 1:50:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1677 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  10:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late reply as I've been out of town. Thanks for the kind comments, and yes I still live in the Austin area. Retired from the 'Pontiac hobby' regarding any more changes to the car but do still drive it on occasions.
Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: