New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RickB
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a new summit racing HEI distributor 5 years ago, my motor stopped running 2 years ago, I traced it down the dist, I installed my 35+ years old Pontiac one and it runs, it was not the coil or module. I think it may be the pick up. Is there anyway to bench test this instead of just replacing parts?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  8:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Send it to Bill! He recurved my summit hei. the advance was NOTHING like it said on the sheet, and was still advancing at 6000 rpms. Have him test and re-curve it for you and you'll be a happy camper.
Go to Top of Page

RickB
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  9:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to send it to Bill but if it is shot I would rather cut my losses. That is why I was wandering if there is an easy way to bench check it.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The HEI pick up can be tested. Below is a link that will help you do it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairguides/GM-Corvette-1984-1996-Repair-Guide/HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-IGNITION-SYSTEM/Pick-Up-Coil/_/P-0900c1528008faaa

As you can see it can be tested without disassembling the distributor. Replacing it does require disassembly.

A new pick up for a Pontiac costs about $22 or so. Be sure you order one for a Pontiac not a Chevy. Autozone has them.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even with any new ones i plan on having them checked/curved, it seems anything aftermarket except what you have made custom is not as advertised, or that seems to be my luck anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  10:00:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The correct pick up for Pontiac is: Duralast DR 101 from Autozone.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Duro"-anything still sounds like a brand of condom! (Insert Beavis and Butthead laugh track here)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: