How Old are Your Tires?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  08:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Investigative reporter Brian Ross, did a piece on Good Morning America this morning that looked into the age of tires in relation to bad automobile accidents. The rubber industry doesn't believe there is a specific age limit to any tire, yet the accidents show cased saw vehicles wrecked wearing tires that were not new but over 5 years old.

What came out was that tires that have been sitting, that is unused, are aging. It's not necessarily what is visible but what is taking place within the tire between the side wall and the cords.

It went on to show that on the sidewall nomenclature there are 4 numbers cast into the rubber by the manufacturer. Those 4 numbers disclose the week of the year and the year. So, 4113 would be the 41st week of 2013.

Interestingly, I checked some of the tires on our family cars. Those LT tires on my Blazer showed no numbering, nor could I find numbers as the show revealed on a brand new set of Hankook tires made in S. Korea. The Pirelli tires on my son's car did have them.

This topic got me to wonder about our hobby and the tires on our Pontiacs. Many times, we buy a tire and because the miles don't accumulate on these cars, we still think they are "new" tires when in fact they may be 6, 8, 10 years or much older.

The old Goodyear Gatorbacks I had on my TA are a good example of this, in my opinion. They were installed in 91 and looked brand new in 2011. They looked good, no cracking, no dry rot etc. I kept them away from the sun and kept them clean and shinny. Just the sheer age of these tires, however, forced me to buy new ones. Those new ones, are brand new and they are aging as they sit in the garage. At some point, maybe at 6 years of age, these tires will need to be replaced. Just to play it safe.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  09:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why you have to burn em' while you got em'
Don't let them get old,wear them out.

Kidding aside, I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. The 62' Mercury I just picked up a few months back from my sister still has the same tires that were on it when my grandfather left it to me in 85'! These tires might easily be 30-35 years old now. I told my wife that even though the tread is decent,and they hold air,I'm going to have to put new rubber on it to drive beyond the neighborhood.

The GTO,honestly I couldn't tell you. I put a USED set of MT ET Streets on a few years back,and the Goodyears on the front look like they are starting to crack from age,even though the tread is still good.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 14 May 2014 09:17:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  3:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After being in use on and off for about 5 years, the 15" tires on my 71 decided to start leaking and falling apart one weekend. Thats when i decided to pull the trigger on moving to 17s, since i needed new rubber anyways.
Go to Top of Page

rskram
Cochise

265 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2014 :  4:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is something that a lot of people just don't think about or take seriously. Or maybe other things like they don't want to spend the money because they think...."Hey, they look okay so another summer or two should be alright"

I'm glad you brought this up Bill because I think that TONS of us guys out there intentionally or unintentionally DO neglect this serious and important detail with our vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

PONTIAC-ONE
Tribal Scout

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% convinced age is the real issue, maybe neglect or bad batches that finally shows after years of use. Journalist investigation compared to actual lab testing can be fear mongering just to boost ratings. Was there any proof the tires that blew NEVER hit a pothole or curb, driven under inflated or with poor alinment with heavy wear areas?
In my 30 years of driving I drove on all sorts of old tires, never 1 problem. I always watch the pressure and take them off if there's any damage or wear.
I don't know anyone who had an issue either...and I know allot of people.
Our daily drivers never make it to 5-6 years on the same tires, they're either worn and changed or the vehicle is sold.
I'm more worried about all the poor drivers on the road, not 8 year old tires.

1971 & 1972 455 Birds
[URL=http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/PONTIAC-ONE/media/4D261784-4C51-472B-865B-09B57BCC704B_zpsfsi0njbe.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

PONTIAC-ONE
Tribal Scout

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  09:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, the driving on old 20 year old tires happened a long time ago when I was in my teens & early 20's and had no money. I can afford new tires these days.

1971 & 1972 455 Birds
[URL=http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/PONTIAC-ONE/media/4D261784-4C51-472B-865B-09B57BCC704B_zpsfsi0njbe.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whether age is the real issue it is something to consider for safety reasons.

We have an old truck that is seldom used any more. The front tires are worn, the rear tires have plenty of tread on them. The vehicle is outdoors 100% of the time and subject to the strong sun of South Florida. All the tires show severe cracking on the tread as well as the carcass. I won't risk driving it above 35 mph anymore.

With our hot rod Pontiacs we need to keep tires in good shape and keeping the car in the garage will surely lengthen the life of good quality tires.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  11:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm convinced there has been changes made in tire formulas so that they do not last decades like tires used to if not used. More corporate profits if we have to replace tires regardless of wear.

Nothing lasts anymore: fuel, tires, appliances, you name it. Planned obsolescence, make no mistake about it. It's not "written" of course. Corporations are too smart for that.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 29 Sep 2014 11:12:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  12:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil.I agree.
I got one of those compact fluorescent light bulbs years ago from my electric company,back when they first came out, on a promotional deal. It lasted about 15 years in my laundry room light fixture. The ones I buy now last 6 months to 1 year! They build them to NOT last so that you keep on buying them.
I worked a little overtime the last few weeks ,so I just put a new set of tires on the 62' Mercury last week to replace the 35 year old set. What are the odds of my new set lasting 35 years??

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 29 Sep 2014 12:35:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  2:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Planned obsolescence. Clearly part of today's marketing game plan.

The other day the 52" ceiling fan in our Master Bedroom stopped operating. At first I told my wife, in disgust, that we'll have to get a new one. I slept on it. The next day, I took the shroud off and found the capacitor toasted. That was the problem. After 30 minutes of parts searching a replacement was ordered. The part cost a buck. S&H was $3.99. This new capacitor replaced the burned out one and things are running again. Most people would have spent another $150 or more for a new fan. I cheated the marketing game plan by fixing the fan. With tires, we there's nothing to fix so we are at the mercy of the manufacturing industry worldwide.

I fix whatever I can. I am my father's son--my Dad was a victim of having little during the Great Depression and fixing things was necessary or he did without.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 29 Sep 2014 2:54:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

PONTIAC-ONE
Tribal Scout

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  11:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points in old vs new manufaturing, nothing seems to last these days. No doubt tires were made better.. to last longer 20-40+ years ago, I still have some "new" BFG radials that have a bias ply looking tread from approx 1973-74 that I have mounted on rims just for the rare occasion of me taking the Formula out just to show. I wouldn't try to go on a hwy road trip with them but I'm not the least bit worried about 30-40 mph drive around town to a cruise inn.
New tire life, I don't know if you need to worry that they break down and fall apart after 7-10 years, it wouldn't surprise me either if that becomes a problem. I'll bet they suffer internal damage much easier from hitting holes etc.. Shortening the life.

Off topic; I have a 2 year 6 month old expensive ONKYO home theater amp/receiver that just quit. One of the sound processing chips on the HDMI board fried, internet search show this is a VERY common problem and of course the company is well aware of it but they continue to produce this crap. I have a TEAC that's 16 yo and a PIONEER now in the garage that's 30!! Never one problem!!
Don't get me started on the batteries for my cordless tools !$&:/@&!!

[Please reduce the size of your photo. It is too large. Try 2.75" wide @72dpi -- Webmaster]

1971 & 1972 455 Birds
Go to Top of Page

LEMANSADDICT
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  12:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOWED HOME A 63 LEMANS FROM CALIFORNIA. ORIGINAL SPARE ON RIGHT REAR. TIRE BLEW OUT SITTING ON THE TRAILER!! OTHER TIRES ON THE CAR WERE FROM 1978. ONE BLEW OUT AND ANOTHER LOST AIR AND WHEN IT WENT FLAT THE SIDEWALL CRACKED OPEN. I WORK AT A DEALERSHIP AND WE SEE TIRES DELAMINATING ETC AS EARLY AS 7 YEARS OLD. BE CAREFUL WITH THAT OLD RUBBER

BOUGHT ONE IN 71,
RELIVING THE DREAM
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who doesn't have a lot of money, so he claims. He buys used tires from junkyards. He has NEVER bought a new tire in his life. He thinks because the tread is decent the tire is good. I can't tell you how many times I've had to "rescue" him from the side of the road after a blowout. He had a blowout on the highway one night driving about 65 MPH and almost wiped out. Scared the crap out of him. I told him that was the last time I',m helping him because he is a bone head and spends his money on other things than safety.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  8:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Since I couldn't bare to see any old Pontiacs wreck due to 5 year old tires:
On the one hand since tires are made out of rubber, they do deteriorate naturally. I've had plenty of old tires way back when... that collapsed, fell apart etc.. Fortunately no crashes.

On the other hand, understanding statistics, when I couldn't afford tires I couldn't afford other proper maintenance. What else besides the tires were shot on these cars?

I owned my last Pontiac in 1989 and my life has sucked ever since.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2014 :  10:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far this year,i've put tires on:

My RAM,the car hauler,today my wagon and the stock trailer is next.FOUR BLEEPING SETS in one year. I am beyond incinerated.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  7:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 07 silverado needs a set, $500...i just keep putting it off.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2014 :  10:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get Cornells.

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
X2 on cornells or any pep boys off brand crap. I put some cornells on the back of a solid rear axle car with known good tracking. Those things cupped up like gator backs in 1K miles.

Same thing with Remington shot guns from wall mart. They are seconds.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Sitting Bull

204 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  02:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having vibration problems with my Corvair. Com to find out the 8 year old Goodyears were out of round. probably flat spots from sitting in one place for months at a time.
Go to Top of Page

JS154
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  4:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Age of race tires (R-Compound)

I have been fortunate to work closely with BF Goodrich in the SCCA sports car racing arena. One of their head tire engineers - who has a Phd in tire vulcanology - has this to say when I asked him about race tire life:

Ideally they should be put into use within 2 years of their construction date, but if they have been stored properly (cool, dry, away from light/bagged and away from electric motors, you can get more time out of them. once they have been put into use and experienced their first heat cycle, defined as 180-220 degrees, or one hard session on a track, they should be used up within 2 years. Often times the tires will sit in a warehouse and then non the truck for 6 months or more before they are even put into distribution, but this doesn't affect they wear or grip characteristics as long as they are stored properly before and between use.

67 Pontiac 400 Coupe
Red on red.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: