Why No Pontiac Events in the Southeast?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been years now since I've attended a Pontiac event. Sure, I go to local car shows and have been to the drags a few time to observe but nothing specifically Pontiac related since the last Pontiacs In the Park event held in Virginia during 2010.

As far as I know there hasn't been a Pontiac event in the southeast. Can anyone shed light on this? Why no Pontiac events in Florida, Georgia, SC or NC?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  11:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the same reason why my local dragstrip no longer has a "BOP" day. Lack of interest. I E-mailed the manager of Great Lakes Dragaway a few years ago when they first dropped BOP day and asked "Why?". He said turnout is weak,and it keeps otherwise paying customers away on that day.
I'm not saying I LIKE it,just the facts.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 25 Apr 2014 11:18:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  2:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay-Drake, that's seems like a good answer. Not enough interest. So, is our Pontiac hobby dying out--for good?

I called the POCI HQ in Minnesota and asked about one of the local POCI chapters (Hurricane Chapter) to find out whether they were active or defunct. The gentleman didn't know even after I told him about the local chapter's website that wasn't there. The link was to some Japanese website. I got the name of one of the chapter members and emailed him. No reply at the moment.

Also viewed the POCI website and looked at Pontiac events in the SE--nothing of consequence. So, if this is so, how long will it be before Pontiac becomes only a faint memory.

Since Buick is still in production, maybe the source of revitalizing Pontiac excitement is to join forces with the Oldsmobile enthusiasts who are fewer in number than us.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  8:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.poci.org/POCI_Chapter_News_Details.cfm?NID=154

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY

Edited by - rkellerjr on 25 Apr 2014 8:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

pontiacchuck
Buffalo

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  08:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bill organize one for west palm international track first see if enough interest by posting on all pontiac boards my son would go that is 1/2 hr from his house we need more tri power nation meets i other locations to get different cars running also check with supper duty promotions

charles dixon
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  10:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done some research and learned that there is a Wide Track Warriors all Pontiac show held annually near Orlando, Florida. They've been doing this for 22 years. The event was covered in the December 2013 issue of High Performance Pontiac. The 22nd event was held on 1 March 2014. Based on the article in HPP, 95 Pontiacs were on display in 2013.

The WTW event is a car show only and I don't believe vendors participate.

=======
Also, met up with Tom Martin who is the president of the Hurricane Chapter of POCI. This chapter is nearly defunct. It exists on the books but participation is non-existent. Apparently, things went downhill following the loss of their Pontiac dealership sponsor. With no place to meet and gather for events the void was never filled. Whether, the chapter is ever rekindled is anyone's guess.

----
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start one up yourself You could check places like...

www.transamtown.com
www.transamcountry.com
www.78ta.com

Just post up and see who is in your area. These are some of the major Firebird sites. From there you can probably branch out to other pontiacs.

You could also find GTO sites like those as well.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY

Edited by - rkellerjr on 03 May 2014 4:19:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic