New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack_77GP
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2014 :  11:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, thought I'd share a little info and some pics of my pontiac.

My car is a two-tone brentwood brown and buckskin 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ with t-tops. I purchased the car a few years back for $800. It currently has 106,000 miles on the odometer. I intended to do a simple cam swap last spring, but project creep set in and now it's a full blown rebuild. Along with doing research for the engine build, I spent last summer rebuilding the carb, cleaning things up under the hood, and rebuilding the front suspension.

The interior is in really good shape, but the exterior is a different story. The paint looks like it's seen a lot of gravel roads. The vinyl top is cracking and the trim is separating. I don't see signs of rust underneath, but don't know for sure. Montana's climate is pretty dry, so i'm hopeful. The previous owner put honeycomb rims on, which I think look pretty good. Maybe someday I'll spring for the new 17" versions. There are a few dings, and the nose doesn't match the rest of the car, but for the most part the body is okay, just really tired looking.

I see pictures of SJ models without the vinyl top, and like the look, so when the time comes for bodywork and paint, I think that's the direction I'll go.

It's never gonna be a show car, or a particularly desirable one, so I feel free to be a little creative and do some experimenting while I fix it up. It's been fun so far.

Here are some pictures of the progress:
http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jack77gp/library/Grand%20Prix%20Resto

77 Grand Prix LJ, 400, T-tops.

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  9:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice car!! My dad had a white 77 GP back in the day. I always loved that car. You have a wide area you can modify or customize or do whatever. I like the t tops. If it was me I'd keep the landau top on it, but thats just me. I like the look. Whatever you do good luck with it but most of all have fun.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7223 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! The last before the downsize. Good luck with the project. The honeycombs are one of my favorites as there's really nothing like them on any other car makes.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  09:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the exterior and engine bay are a little rough right now , but, keep at it, and you will see progress.

Removing the vinyl top may show you some rusty areas along the base. Watch for that. My 76 GP (prior to my 79 TA) sported a camel tan colored vinyl top. The car really looked classy. I didn't have honey comb wheels, but the standard PMD 5 spoke. When I got the TA, my Dad purchased the GP and drove it relentlessly until 86. So we had it in our family for 10 years.

Aside from standard maintenance, the only two things that went on it was the water pump and the heater. AC ran all the time without a problem. It was a good dependable car with over 100,000 miles on it when it was sold.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: