Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7216 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2014 :  9:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  10:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this new piece.
Thanks,
Bear
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2014 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brand new product but Rodney Butler is doing some testing.

I tested this seal 2 weeks ago on a forged crank with serrogations. As you know the original BOP seal works great on billet cranks without the serrogations. Dynoed with no evac first. No drips. Then hooked up a remote 4 vane vac pump driven by a 220 volt electric motor at max rpm that we use to check for vac leaks with the engine off. Made 22.8" and still climbing when the valley pan seal gave up! The old seal sucks in at 16". My dyno operator said he'd never seen any make of engine hold more than 21". Wasn't even mad about having to pull the intake and valley pan. Just excited about the rear main seal! Think this is what we've been needing for a long time.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 21 Mar 2014 12:05:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

PDC
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am reviving this thread to see if there are any folks out there who can provided a 'long(er) term' report card on the BOP 1-Piece Rear Main Seal. Still drip free? Anyone develop a drip or leak after X-00 miles?
I am in the middle of a rear main replacement on my 461. The serrations on the Eagle crank are 'noticeable' to say the least. We are going to smooth the edges without (hopefully) taking away too much 'meat' off of the sealing surface diameter.
Rodney Butler's post seems to suggest that this seal works fine with serrations. I just wonder if after enough hours or miles of run-time, the serrations take their toll on this seal.
Any real world feedback greatly appreciated.
I am Pure Pontiac, but I sure can see why some have been 'assimilated' by the LS community...
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used them in 3 engines with ZERO issues.A little tricky to put in im told.Did not do it myself had my builders do them.3 engines and 3 diff builders.Tom
Go to Top of Page

PDC
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2015 :  11:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Tom! I do have a few specific questions if you don't mind:

1) Did these go into builds with factory cranks or aftermarket cranks?

2) Do you know if your builders 'smoothed' the oiling serrations on the cranks?

3) Do you have an estimate of miles or hours of run time for each of these builds?

From what I have heard, stock or factory cranks rarely need additional polishing because the thousands of miles of friction turning against the original rope seal effectively 'smooths' out the factory oiling serrations.

Eagle cranks apparently have notoriously 'pronounced' serrations at the sealing area which should be smoothed out for a viton or lip style seal(?)

THANK YOU!

Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One is a 63 factory 4 cyc crank,one is a factory RA V 366 NASCAR crank and one is a Ohio crankshaft 4.21 stroke 3in main crank.The V engine has been running for months with no issue.The Ohio one was in the car before the V engine with a couple month of driving and the 4 cyc was just done with only about 10 miles on it but is dry as a popcorn fart.Tom
Go to Top of Page

PDC
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2015 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info - Thank you. My mechanic is going to get gently smooth the serrations with emery cloth before installing the new seal and buttoning everything back up. We'll see!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: