New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digitalmatt2003
Buffalo

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  4:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I keep getting the run around about whether or not the tv cable has to be installed on the new rebuilds with a constant pressure valve body. So what is the straight poop?

1971 Catalina 400, Pontiacs may be old,may be defunct, but way better than your import piece of $#!T.

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why the CP VB?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

digitalmatt2003
Buffalo

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea. I just know that alot of the rebuilds have it as an option and according to the builders the tv cable is obsolite because the CP VB takes over the job.

1971 Catalina 400, Pontiacs may be old,may be defunct, but way better than your import piece of $#!T.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  9:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it may cover a builder who is not an expert with these units and I'd avoid that "option". The top builders KNOW how to get the hydraulics right on these transmissions and that is much preferred over a constant TV pressure mod.

Go with Lonnie or Jake and you will have a great unit. Dave Husek is good too if you're in NY.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

digitalmatt2003
Buffalo

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  09:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I may be stepping into $#!t here but I was talking spacifically about TCI.

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TCI

For the best 200-4R's:

1) Lonnie Dyers (www.extremeautomatics.com)

2) Jakes Performance (www.jakesperformance.com)

3). Dave Husek (www.turbobuickperformance.com)

There are more good builders but not many more. (Just wanted to point out this is not an all inclusive list)

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2014 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a company like TCI, it makes sense that they'd want to eliminate that setup because it's something the customer can do incorrectly but lead to them eating a tranny rebuild even if it's not their fault (or not eating it and a customer complaining to everyone how tci screwed them.) Let's do the math: only three outcomes. a customer sets up the tv cable right and is happy. a customer sets it up wrong and tci eats it after it dies. A customer sets it up wrong and they don't eat it and customer complains all day.

Two thirds of the outcome, it doesn't work out for them. So wouldn't a valve body that, even if it takes away from the transmission in some way, sound good to you as a business?

All that being said, they are a snap to install and adjust unless you're running some weird carb they never made a setup or kit for. Took us all of 10 minutes when we did a 700-r4 for my father in laws truck. It was so fast and quick that we did it again thinking it should be harder and we did it wrong.

You will know if it's wrong when the "pancake shifts" happen, can just stop and fix it.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  7:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did a trans (Turbo 350) that was purchased from Summit Racing, which was a TCI unit. The customer was on his second unit when he contacted us and asked about it. We pulled the unit out of the car and inspected it, and found several "questionable" things they had done, which we corrected. Air pressure tested it, and re-installed and it worked correctly. One issue was the "soft" shifting into third, which we found that the builder eliminated two frictions out of the direct. Usually you would want more holding power, not less! But it created too much clearance and of course burned up the direct clutches that were left. Another issue was with the valve body. But as I said, we corrected the problems and got him back on the road. Bottom line is that sometimes bigger companies that are well known don't necessarily do things the best way.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

TexasT
Tribal Scout

10 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2014 :  11:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This ones only a couple months old.

As far as the tv cable goes, I believe the cable still needs input for the trans to shift, though the pressure is at a high level all the time. This is good for a track car, the whole reason GM put together the variable pressure system is unless there is a high load on the trans, it doesn't need high pressure. This high pressure is hard on the pump and other parts of the trans. causing wear.

http://jakesperformance.com/TV_Cable_Setup_Info.html
http://jakesperformance.com/200-4R_Tricks.html

Rich
Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  07:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic