Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smogboy
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  3:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 : 3:32:46 PM Show Profile Email Poster Edit Reply Reply with Quote Delete Reply

I have a 66 tempest with a 3row Champion aluminum radiator dual electric fans 2100 cfm advertised flow, shroud custom fabbed for the radiator. I AM RUNNING A 455 .040 over , Eagle rods and crank, Mahle pistons, Ultradyne mechanical roller .628 lift 298 duration 108 centerline. Kauffman heads intake, and crossover , heads ported by SD Performance 320 cfm. 900 cfm doublepumper holley. I also have the CSI electric water pump from BOP engineering, compression is 11.5:1. I'm having trouble keeping temps below 220 F on warm days. timing is 16 before top dead center, total advance 36. It currently uses a 9" housing 3.90:1 ratio, and 4200 JW converter. I have tried with or without t-stat and their is no change. I'm new to your forum, and I apologize if I have done anything incorrectly. I'm also new to a heavily modified Pontiac. I sure could use some of the knowledge and experience you guys have with Pontiacs. I love the car, my dad and I have had it since I was 21, we started working on it 3yrs later. I'm 41 now, and after dad had a long battle with cancer,and eventually lost. I'm flyin' solo. This engine was a tribute to him and has taken some time to finish. I must get this right, it's our Pontiac. It's the only way. Thank you for any help or advice. It is greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Topic Next Topic

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  10:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP.
Sincere Condolences on your loss.
What is the car used for?
On street cars with factory style water pumps, the clearance is checked and adjusted between the W/P impeller and the divider plate to increase volume and efficency. I have only seen electric pumps in Drag applications.
You dont want coolant to by-pass the radiator. The coolant to the heater core can be a source of by-pass and should be restricted. I fabricate a plug with a 1/4" hole (or smaller i suppose) and install it in the heater hose at the back of the passanger cylinder head.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  12:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The factor heater nipple also had a spiral spring looking restrictor that was, as i understand it, thermostatic in nature. It let more circulate when hot and less when gold.
Go to Top of Page

smogboy
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  2:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I have not restricted the heater core. Also I heard the coolant passage in the Kauffman crossover is smaller than stock,could this affect it. I drive the car on the street sometimes, have not taken it racing yet.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pull the pump and hammer away at the divider plate until you have as close to zero clearance as you can get. I makes a huge difference!
It sure helped me. Also, a clutch fan and the biggest factory fan you can get. Next, use the small pulley for the fan. Fan half in and half out of shroud. I believe its a 6 inch pully btw. . Do these things and it should be fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: