New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
140 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  08:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was recently having trouble with my new TKO600. I tried to get answers/info from Tremmec, the vendor I purchassed the transmission from and a few other sources. I couldn't quite get the info I needed.
Out of the blue I get a phone call from Bruce Couture at Modern Driveline. I didn't know who was calling or how he knew of my problem. He asked about the symptoms and explained some possible faults and how to address them.

This was an unsolicited call, he knew I was having a problem and called from Idaho to BC Canada just to offer some help and expecting nothing in return.

They do mostly Ford conversions but will set one up for any make. I've never met him or had any business dealings with him but I thought his service did make a difference and want to pass it on.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's excellent! Did you happen to find out anything helpful on solving your problem?
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
140 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, input shaft endplay is shimmed under the bearing retainer and the gearlash is shimmed on the output shaft. If the gear mesh/lash is too loose it will clatter, sounds worse with any lopey cam. The pos and neg acceleration of the crank every revolution makes the gearbox sound like it has marbles in it. Increasing the rpm out of idle, say 1500 rpm, smooths out the engine and the noise goes away. The light GM syncromesh oil doesn't quieten the gears as much as the 80/90 oil in a Muncie.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Valuable information to know, thanks for reporting back in case someone else has that issue in the future....

I can't believe tremmec didn't have that info instantly when you called! Modern Driveline seems like a stand up place to go through that for you.
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
140 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  8:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought so.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: