e/brake cables on exhaust
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  9:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My e/brake cables are on the exhaust as it passes over the car to r/rear wheel . Not sure if all the parts are there but looks like it . It's a 76 f/bird w/duals ,stock mnfld. ,The ex. was on it when I got it so I didn't see it w/original single ex. Does anyone have a pic of the under side that may show the correct design ? Thanks

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  10:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be some under body hooks in the floor board holding up the cables in the front seat aria.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  10:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using all the brackets and hooks that were available at the time of installation . The new cables were installed according to what info and diagrams that I found . I'll check at a couple ex shops and see if they've run across this problem . I thought maybe I might use a small bit of header wrap and wind it around the cable where it contacts the pipes ?
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  12:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jogs a memory. I kinda remember a type of rubber sleeve on a 76 FB i had years n years ago. Maybe 6" or a little longer in that area. Had small hose type clamps holding the sleeve in place. May or may not have been stock. It's an idea for you though. Cut a piece of proper diameter fuel line length wise and about 6" or so long. Wrap it around the cable, Estimate the travel, and clamp it in placewith a couple of your standard type hose clamps, mark the true travel between brake on and off then adjust accordingly and tighten. Good luck. Btw, 6" is just a guess from memory, you may need a longer piece.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  08:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the gas line would melt some on the ex/pipes ? Maybe it's not that hot mid way of ex ? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  6:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They really shouldn't be an issue, mine do touch when they're loose, since i put new on i haven't had any issues (i got a whole new kit from inline tube and it was great and well worth the money), everything lined up perfect except i had to drill my aftermarket tranny x-member for the hook on the passenger side.
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  7:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What year is your kit for and what year is your bird ?Thanks
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  8:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got it for my 71 tempest. i'd check and see if they have the kit for your bird too, it was like 130 for every cable clip etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: