4 speed conversion on a 1973 Grand Prix
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frankone
Buffalo

49 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  12:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GM did not offer a 4 speed in the Grand Prix in 1973. Are there any aftermarket sources for the conversion parts to install an ST-10 4 speed into the 73 model year. Have everything but the pedal setup and z bar.

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  9:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I never saw one. I DID see a couple '73 GAs with 4-speeds. I'm sure the pedal assembly is relatively easy.

You can use a cable or hydraulic actuator these days much easier and more dependable than the old bell-crank type. I was looking at a McLeod catelog just the other day, and they have all the necessary components to fabricate a clutch setup.

FWIW

Jim
Go to Top of Page

frankone
Buffalo

49 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  01:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mr. P-Body, your response is much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  09:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not had luck with the hydraulic release bearings from RAM, mcleod, etc, even following design to a T. I would honestly like the slave cyl to fork design like a lot of chevy's had, but, there's no BOP bellhousing that has that setup. Easier to bleed and service if there's an issue, and no over extension issues with those. Bellcrank is still my fav because of simplicity (no need to size or mount master cylinders, cheap parts, etc) But i know some people need all that stuff out of the way for monster headers, etc. or gm didn't make a factory setup for their car.
Go to Top of Page

jsam
Tribal Scout

1 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are mistaken. GM did offer 1973 Grand Prix with a 4 speed manual tranny. I had one and it came from the factory with a Hurts shifter. I think it had a 400 cube engine. It might have been very rare but they did make them. I have picture but can't seem to attach it.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  3:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE one of those bellhousings if it ever turned up, never have seen or heard of one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: