Abrasives: What new products work fast?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  09:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would venture to say that I probably have more sandpaper than anyone that frequents this board, yet, I'm not satisfied that any of the abrasives I have is up to date, current with today's advances in removing paint, crud and rust.

I'm also including wire wheels and brushes. I have a slew of them. Same issue. Is there something better today?

Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but hand rubbing is too time consuming. I used to do most sanding (whether wood or metal) by hand. Now I want to do it faster and better, be more efficient.

3m has abrasives aside from sandpapers that cut through paints to metal pretty quickly.
For example: 3m Roloc bristle discs http://www.3m.com/product/information/Roloc-Bristle-Disc.html

These come in various grits: 50/80/120 as well as diameters: 1", 2" and 3"

Has anyone tried these? Are they any good? Do they last? Are they worth it?

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  10:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've used the green and yellow ones. removes paint and rust quickly. I was suprised how long one lasted. Mabey 15 miniuts of non stop work. Leaves the metal similar to using a wire wheel.

For large arias, the car show guy's have been using a liquid paint striper.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2015 :  07:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is somewhat of an old thread which I'm bringing to that top again because it needs updating.

During the months since my original post, my search for a good "sanding" method to remove the old finish from my car was realized. I wound up getting and trying a 4.5" abrasive "resin" disc and a 7" version. Both are hook and loop and attach to a 5/8-11 arbor. The machine I selected to run these abrasive discs is a Dewalt variable speed
polisher/sander #849xp. The abrasive resin discs and attaching pads were purchased through Eastwood.

After using these items on my hood and fender (at this point) both work very well, with the larger 7" disc working the fastest and best over large flat area.

For safety, I've used a 3M brand N95 particulate mask. I also add that wearing nitrile gloves helps keep perspiration off the cleaned metal and "rusty" little finger prints down to a minimum.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: