New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KidPoncho
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  11:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ordering parts for a 62 Bonneville 389 turbo 400. I can not remember where I seen the shift indicator plate for my console to correct my "R" before my drive.
Before ordering my pushrods I had measured 8 22/32"(8.7187). The only other pushrods I have seen are 8.684''. The block and heads are square and do not require machining. Where do I get the correct pushrods ?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2013 :  5:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can order pushrods in different lengths from summit, i did that after switching cams, they weren't listed for a pontiac, i just got one piece, thick walled comp cams pushrods in the length my indicator showed.

Here's a question for the others that follow...when you go from 1.5 to 1.65 rockers, do you guys ever have to change pushrods, or do you find the rocker just moves up slightly on the stud?
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2258 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kid,

The stock length IS 8.684. Did you replace the rockers? The '62 is quite different than most of the engines discussed here, as they "oil" completely differently. It is highly recommended to "convert" to oiling through the pushrods instead of the studs. The passage in the block needs to be tapped 3/8-16 so a 3/8" long set screw can be installed. Use the lifters, pushrods and rockers for a '64 GTO and everything is "happy". 400 rockers ARE different. I describe it in the previous thread on this forum.

The term "rod length" refers to the center-to-center dimension of the connecting rod. We're talking about pushrods here.

Mike,

Pushrod length shouldn't change with a ratio change.

Jim

Edited by - Mr. P-Body on 10 Sep 2013 9:21:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2013 :  9:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim

Didn't think so, but just checking. Finally got my gauge cluster done, so will move on to valvetrain and that lazy lifter next, figured i'd jump to 1.65 while in there.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

bluebird
Cochise

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you order the thicker 3/8" pushrods instead of 5/16" you'll have to also order the 3/8" guides.....ask me how I know...lol

"Experience is the best teacher, unfortunately, it's the costliest!"
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2015 :  8:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
62s dont use guide plates and you cant use 3/8 push rods or 1.65s without pulling the heads and clearance them.!.65s for sure will pull the studs without putting screwin studs in.They use pressed in studs.If everything is stock you can use 64 GTO rockers and you dont have to plug anything.Almost no body know that much about pre 65 stuff anymore so be very carefull where you get advice.And be very carefull telling some one 62 heads as 1969 had a #62 head.1962 heads are like apples and oranges.Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: