a/c comp. swap?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

142 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  08:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 76 f/bird a/c comp. and was going to try to swap it for a newer style camaro a/c but discovered the newer one has no heat switch on the compressor . Any way to use the newer one ??

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you mean a hi pressure cut out. Some dryers have a plugged port for a switch.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 17 Aug 2013 09:43:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  10:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are considering an A-6 to an R-4 swap ...dont do it.
The two systems do not co mingle well at all.
If you do want to swap to an R-4 compressor, you will want to install an orifice tube and block the oil line at the bottom of the evap,or change the evap to a newer non POA type evap...meaning one with no oil bypass line for the compressor.Also you will need a cycling switch, or you will need to use the POA valve elimination kit.
Not sure you will like to feel the compressor cycling on and off all the time.
Part of the reason the cycling system doesnt work well with the old A-6 is because the clutch diameter is smaller and doesnt hold up well at all cycling on and off. many times in high heat situations it will engage and not turn as it does not hold with enough force to start the compressor turning under hi torque demands.
Also the POA (A-6) sytem has an oil circulation tube from the bottom of the evap to the suction line to lube the compressor when freon flow is low.This oil flow tends to hydrolock an R-4 when a conversion is done, unless you run the POA eliminator and a cycling switch.
Ask me how I know.
The POA system is a better system, if its working correctly. And it doesnt cycle on and off all the time...it runs continuously.
Its up to you.
The newer sanden compressors are pretty decent but look far from a stock appearance

Edited by - Latech on 17 Aug 2013 10:22:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  1:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still need to add some hi and low pressure protection.

[URL=http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/BluedandPainted/media/AC002_zps7d222a06.jpg.html][/URL]

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 17 Aug 2013 1:45:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That and the R-4 is ugly as sin, i always thought they just made them to fit in tight areas like vans, etc. For me, it's the A-6 if you want to look original, or a sanden since they're cheap, efficient, and light. On my projects i'm starting to just paint them semi-gloss black so they'll blend in more. I was looking at the modern A6 conversion aluminum compressor (it has more pistons in it, lighter, fits A6 brackets and hoses) but it's a million dollars!
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2013 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The r4 was also a troublsome unit. Always went to knocking and sending metal throu-out the high side. My 75 lemans had the short lived VIR system with the a6. A serviceable unit where you could change the disicant bag and valves. Once you got streched out on the hi-way it worked very well even in 95 and 100+ degree temps.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: