New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  6:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, besides the rain, wind and rain it was a fairly decent weekend. Met up with matt and Cort, we talked for quite awhile and it was very nice to see everyone again, and meet you Cort. Chuck, sorry we didn't hook up at the campground but the timing was off most of the weekend. At least we got to talk though.
Far as Ray Jr's car goes, it is a work in progress. We got there Wednesday evening and he made a copuple disappointing passes, and we called it a night. It was missing and the ET's and MPH were WAAAAY off the mark. Fuel delivery is part of the problem, as well as a few other issues we had to iron out. Ultimately found a couple cracked spark plugs which seemed to take care of the missing problem. he made a pass this morning (Sunday) and the car ran an 11.33 @ 119.6 MPH which was the best it ever ran, however still way under what is expected. Going to pull the engine back out and take it down to CVliff's where we are going to "disect it" and find the problems. I saw problemS because there is more that one issue with it.
My car ran a best ET of 11.45 @ 116.7 MPH, and when it was inspected I was told they will "let it go for this weekend" however next time it comes back I have to have it caged and 3" safety harness must be isntalled. Yeah, yeah Yeah...LOL. J/K. It's a good problem to have to work out of. Problem with my car is that on the second run it broke up right before the end of the run and began running badly, and it's developed an engine miss. Pulled the valve covers and didn't see anything obviouos, replaced the spark plugs, and that wasn't the issue either so I put her on the trailer and sat the weekend out.
My son Brandon's car ran fairly well although because he is "new" at driving a stick shift on the track his et's were sort of inconsistant. He let his brother run it a few times and had the same results. LOL. Best et for his Bird was 15.36 @ 98 MPH. It's a 1996 T/A with a 6 spd.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2013 :  11:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray,

looks like you guys had a good weekend. Good times out of the cars. The rain was terrible on Thursday when I was out there. Did you guys have rain all of the other days?

--Dave
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  09:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ray,

That's bad luck on the miss at the end, i hope you get it figured out. It does seem that once you get one gremlin knocked out another pops up!

Dave,
Friday was nice and cool through mid-day, then it rained lightly for a bit, i took off in the mid-afternoon, but it looked like it was clearing up then. I wish i had decided to change my gauges back to stock while i was still near the biggest pontiac swap meet...
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had rain off and on. The wind was TERRIBLE on Friday night I think it was around 2 A.M. I was very surprised that the pit canopies were all standing when we returned. All in all it was a great weekend. No matter if we break or run good it's always nice to get out and meet up with friends we haven't seen since last year. We catch up throughout the year with e-mails or phone calls but actually seeing and talking is a lot better.
I found out late yesterday that Rick Roup lost in the 4th round. He went home with $50 though so thats a good thing.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  09:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cort, I've already decided to build another engine. I'm livin on borrowed tiume with the present one anyhow. The bottom end has been together in it's present form except for bearing changes twice since 1986. It's been a VERY dependable engine with stock rods, crank and heavy TRW pistons. Not this past weekend, but in the past few years I've shifted at 6500 quite a few times and she held together.
I have a 1973 400 block that is a perfect6 candidate for another engine. Cliff and I are already talking about how it's going to be built, but I am going to use the Kaufman D ports and it will be another roller with a slightly larger profile.
I may decide to place the present one into the 1986 grand Prix 2+2 I just bought. Not sure yet.

Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Klemm Camp" has some quick stuff, but yall had a rough weekend with things not going as hoped.

I posted my quickest times to date with my Lemans, with a 12.55 on Thursday for the shootout, as well as a 12.56 and 12.59 on Sunday.

Weather was good for the shootout on thursday, and as soon as they finished up with the end of day pictures, the skies opened up, right on Dave's masterpiece of a GTO. lol. we got soaked. Friday started off nice, then we had a small shower... they got the track dry for the start of the Gambler's race but rain struck again, harder the 2nd go round, ending the night's racing. and that was all she wrote for the rain. Saturday was beautiful, a little warmer but breezy most of the day. Sunday was cooler, perfect for a day at the track, still breezy. Almost cold at times.

We loaded up after my first round red light loss on Sunday and hit the road, Dad and I were exhausted and not ready to leave, but at the same time ready to get home.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  4:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt I was looking for you and your dad but I saw an empty spot where the truck and trailer once stood. Sorry I missed you on the way out.
Can't wait for August next year! Already have August 1st, 2nd and 3rd marked in the 2014 calendar.

Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2013 :  10:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PontiacMatt

The "Klemm Camp" has some quick stuff, but yall had a rough weekend with things not going as hoped.

I posted my quickest times to date with my Lemans, with a 12.55 on Thursday for the shootout, as well as a 12.56 and 12.59 on Sunday.

Weather was good for the shootout on thursday, and as soon as they finished up with the end of day pictures, the skies opened up, right on Dave's masterpiece of a GTO. lol. we got soaked. Friday started off nice, then we had a small shower... they got the track dry for the start of the Gambler's race but rain struck again, harder the 2nd go round, ending the night's racing. and that was all she wrote for the rain. Saturday was beautiful, a little warmer but breezy most of the day. Sunday was cooler, perfect for a day at the track, still breezy. Almost cold at times.

We loaded up after my first round red light loss on Sunday and hit the road, Dad and I were exhausted and not ready to leave, but at the same time ready to get home.

Matt thanks again to you and your dad for helping Freddy and I load the car back on the trailer. We were all SOAKED after that passing storm. I hit some really heavy rain on the ride home, but the condom we put on the car the night before worked like a charm.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  09:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem Dave, enjoyed helping. You and Freddy were a lot of fun to hang with, just wish yall could have stayed longer! Also glad to hear the "condom" didn't break and that yall made it back safely. no more trailer tire issues i hope?

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgot a good norwalk moment:

Right before i blew my first 1/4 mile run, i was staged behind a firebird (first or second gen if i recall, i was too busy being nervous), and i got to stare at the sticker on the back for a good 5-10 minutes:

Rock 'n Roll Engineering
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2013 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cort, that sticker should be beside the "sponsorship" on a Firebird I saw. It was "Dick McFeely" something or other. LOL.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: