New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  10:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a quick search on the forum here and came up with 1 thread - from 2008.

I don't currently have one, but I want one. I'm not to the point of it being "required" by NHRA rules, but I would feel much better having it.

These are the same price, look like pretty much the same product. Just figured i'd see if anyone is using one of these on an A-body?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upi-4500-b/overview/make/pontiac/model/lemans

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-dsl007h/overview/make/pontiac/model/lemans

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  11:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad Idea for safety. Not good to see poll vaulting at the drag strip. But for 80 bucks i might try to make one.
I dont think it could get by my fully welded X pipe but could still do some serious damage.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never used the ones in your links. I don't know if drilling holes is an issue for you,for me it was,so I bought one of these-
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665340&highlight=drill+loop

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  12:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drake i was about to buy one, then realized it wouldn't work with my funky tranny x-member. mine is a round crossmember, with the flat part made for the tranny mount on the front side. the back side however has no flat lip. and the round part is too big (low) for this no-drill loop to duck down and around i'm fairly certain. I'd need a different crossmember for that loop to work on my car.

I could try to make my own "no-drill" loop i suppose, but bending a 1/4" thick, 2" wide piece of steel in a full 360 circle seems like it would be quite a chore.

Go to Top of Page

bnorris_74
Crazy Horse

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PontiacMatt

Drake i was about to buy one, then realized it wouldn't work with my funky tranny x-member. mine is a round crossmember, with the flat part made for the tranny mount on the front side. the back side however has no flat lip. and the round part is too big (low) for this no-drill loop to duck down and around i'm fairly certain. I'd need a different crossmember for that loop to work on my car.

I could try to make my own "no-drill" loop i suppose, but bending a 1/4" thick, 2" wide piece of steel in a full 360 circle seems like it would be quite a chore.

It appears they are making the no drill for your car now.

100% bolt on Drive Shaft Safety Loop.
NO modifications or holes to drill in your car. 1/4" high strength steel
and powdercoated.
Meets requirements for racing organizations.
Applications for;
64-72 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, ElCamino, Skylark, Cutlass, and LeMans
65-67 Chevy full size.
67-74 Camaro, Nova, Firebird
TH-400, TH-350, Powerglide, or manual transmissions

http://www.carusoperformance.com/index.html
From the PY post:

#30 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
UNDERDOG350
Junior Member Join Date: May 2011

Drive shaft loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

68-72 Chevelle TH-400 loops will be available Monday, 8/22/2011. They are at powdercoat right now. TH350/4 speed Chevelles are about 3 weeks away.
FYI the Firebird crossmember looks very similar to the Chevelles. Would like to try one on a Firebird to see floor pan clearance.
Thanks

Manufacturer of Buick and Pontiac restoration parts.
Full service restoration facility

Edited by - bnorris_74 on 19 Jul 2013 12:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  12:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also like the tranny mount one:

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/dsl-2-no-weld-no-drill-driveshaft-loop-turbo-350-4-speed-vehicles.html

i also used RARE's bottom control arm to upper control arm braces.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  2:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha... I called Steve (Caruso), and indeed he does have a loop for my tranny x-member. I will be purchasing one directly from him... as soon as I can get this dang PayPal account set up.

On a side note, it's ridiculous how many hoops ya gotta jump through to set up a paypal account. Would think the credit card info would be sufficient, but they need your bank account info too. not a fan already, but Steve doesn't have a way to accept payment via credit card so it's either paypal or mail a check. since i'm kinda on a time crunch, hopin to get this paypal account set up quickly.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  2:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, any way you can quickly move money online, the drug dealers and thieves and scammers ruin it, so now you have to jump through 100 hoops. Once you get it setup, and verify the accounts and add cards, it's great to have.
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  11:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

I also like the tranny mount one:

http://www.ramairrestoration.com/dsl-2-no-weld-no-drill-driveshaft-loop-turbo-350-4-speed-vehicles.html

i also used RARE's bottom control arm to upper control arm braces.

This is basically the one I have on my car. It is nestled up nicely and didn't require me to weld anything. I did add another support hole that goes up into the floor.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=731470999593&set=a.678271886043.2119503.50200714&type=3&theater
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2013 :  1:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got in touch with Steve Caruso last Friday and have ordered one. Hope to have it later this week, but either way - it should be here in time to be installed before Norwalk.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: