New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  2:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an MSD distributor and a Comp hydraulic roller camshaft. I'm trying to determine which gear to use. MSD says to go with their gear, friends say change the gear and Comp can't seem to give me an answer. I don't want the gear to eat the cam gear, I took the MSD gear off and tried to get a composite gear on but had no luck, the shaft is too big to press the composite gear on. Anyone out there done this or maybe reamed the composite gear to fit?

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3404 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  4:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butler shows a polymer gear for msd. scroll down.
http://butlerperformance.com/products/distributors_accessories/distributors_accessories.html

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2013 :  5:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Start with a brass gear, after 5k miles change to the polymer gear.

You want the brass gear to in essence "debur" the steel gear on the camshaft.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1673 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2013 :  09:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I don't want the gear to eat the cam gear"

If not set up properly it might be the other way around, the cam gear eating up the bronze gear. Bronze distributor gears are designed to be sacrifical.

The gears from MSD use a quality nickel/bronze alloy, not inferior yellow-brass as sold by some companies.

I have switched to the composite gears with no issues. But if using a bronze gear remember do not beat on the motor before the oil's hot. Set up properly a bronze gear should last quite awhile, and yes again they are designed to be sacrifical. Some find with experiance a bronze gear can get real sharp from wear. Which brings up the question or thoughts about not being properly matched and set up. Articles from MSD will point out the effort that goes into a ring-and-pinion installation. Yet many don't think twice about the distributor gear/cam gear relationship unless performance starts to suffer. How the dist gear and cam gear mesh is just as important as the quality of the metals involved. MSD states the excessive clearance between the gear teeth shouldn't be fixed by shoving the distributor farther into the hole; this screws up the proper wear pattern. They also mention that if a CAM gear is poorly made, the first bronze gear may destroy itself deburing and reshaping the cam gear, but the second bronze gear should wear in faster, work more smoothly, and live longer. And they remind you to remember to check ignition timing; as the bronze distributor gear wears, the timing will retard.

Related:
http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561436&highlight=debur+cam+gear

Edited by - Steve C. on 08 Jul 2013 09:59:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  12:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Thanks, I didn't know the MSD shaft was a different diameter than the stock, no wonder I couldn't force it on. I'd like to ask why the f*** not but that's a whole different topic. It cost me $150 to get the first composite gear to the door and now it's going to be $150 more for the MSD type. No wonder guys drive chebbys. I should have stayed with the HEI, the MSD doesn't perform as advertised anyway.
Thanks again for the info.
Go to Top of Page

PontiacMatt
Many Ponies

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  09:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stock Distributor Gear diameter is .491" IIRC.

MSD is .500.

Someone correct me if that is incorrect.

*72' Pontiac Lemans* - Work in Progress
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can just put an MSD on a stock by putting some JB weld in there right? Guys, right? Where'd everyone go?
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  09:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so the composite gear takes care of the cam now the other issues.
The "ready to run" is suposed to have 10 degrees of advance at 15psi vacuum. Mine gets 21 degrees with 10 psi vacuum. The rev limiter is to be set by grounding the jumper wire supplied, it doesn't.
Why oh why did I not just modify the HEI?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2013 :  10:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a brand new RTR MSD or a reconditioned second? Where did you get it?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 13 Jan 2014 9:24:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Sitting Bull

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2013 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New, bought two weeks ago from Lordco auto in Victoria B. C.
Go to Top of Page

Total Jackass
Tribal Scout

0 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  8:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?.
http://www.boxugg.com/

I'm a first class jerk and don't you forget it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: