Air Conditioning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4010 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  05:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The stock AC compressor and parts were removed years back. I'm thinking about eventually putting a stock looking unit back into the Trans Am (79). I'm a bit curious...and was wondering how many of you don't have "air" in your "hot rods."

I know that Mike Boes has what appears to be a Vintage Air AC system in his Pontiac--what about the rest of you guys? Any AC?

(I'm not sure my car with AC would even work with the cam I have...it might be too rough for it.)

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  08:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have it in my xe284 462, no problem. Aftermarket old air products kit. My 66 c10 is factory air but was missing the compressor and brackets. Condensor and drier were beat up, so i got direct fit ones from old air products and a sanden compressor and brackets, gonna paint it black to blend in. Any more, unless it's a very original car, im putting in a/c and overdrive.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, theyre pricey, but i see vendors selling an aluminum big compressor that fits in the a6 brackets thats supposed to be a big compressor upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Cochise

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  08:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 77 T/A has A/C but the compressor is out of the car ( its a big sucker too ). I'm not sure if all the parts are there to get it going, but I would like to have it some day.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1063 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My original A/C is still in the car,and it works. I don't really use it though. I do turn it on a few times during the season while driving just to circulate the freon/oil.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  09:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is an AC car but was removed prior to my purchase. I plan on putting a Vintage Air system in the car to take advantage of current technology but keeping the vintage look as much as possible. And it sure gets hot here in VA!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
2539 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  10:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Previous owner replaced the compressor with a sankyo aluminum and a beefy bracket that uses 3 bolt holes on the front of the cyl head. The rest of the POA type system looks factory.

Bull Nose Formula, 461, R44TS, DEX/MERC
69 GTO-400/670/373/4Spd
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4010 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have all the original components and brackets but the 134a will require new non-contaminated parts.

All of this is down the road...in the future...just trying to get my "ducks in a row."

It's too darn hot to drive anyway down here without Air.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
2539 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ester oil is compatable with 12 and 134 and is used on the conversions. I used it for years. No failure's that i know of. The dryer is always replaced. Auto manufacturers went with a darker, more reflective tint of the glass because 134 is slightly less efficient than 12. The biggest problem i had was with the conversion fittings. Some were poor fit and quality and would leak. And dont over tighten.

69 GTO-400/670/373/4Spd

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 28 Jun 2013 11:31:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

259 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  12:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 70 LeMans is a AC car but the PO removed the compressor and hoses. Haven't decided to go with Vintage Air or try and get my existing system working.

not my car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR1UR-P9pE0
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have the inside mixerbox, firewall part, controls, etc...just get a sanden compressor and bracket, a new drier, and condenser if yours is beat.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
2879 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  4:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a cool topic.

Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  6:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new sanden design has a crankcase that has oil in it, like the ol A 6. The A 6 is a good compressor.
Synthetic PAG oil is compatible with r 12 or r134a and is the best choice for oil in todays AC systems.
I use it exclusivly in all my repairs as it mixes matches with anything.
A new drier is allways a good Idea and the r134a compatibles are easy to get.
If it were mine I would try and keep it factory looking with an A 6 .
If you have a POA system, they really work well, when the POA is functioning and there is a way to adjust it to optimize it with R 134a.
The adjustment is in the end of the valve that goes toward the compressor (relative with flow that is).
The one thing I would highly recommend over all is to get a real good Paralell Flow type condenser to replace your old tube fin job.
Fin/tube are pretty inneficient, the paralell flows are better hands down. In the Florida heat and humidity...your system really eeds to be up to snuff.
If you like I can dig up a link for the POA adjustment.
If you have a CCOT type system .....never mind.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4010 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  10:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have the original A6 compressor that came with the car. It seems to me the problem it developed was a leaking seal. It should be rebuildable. Not sure I'm capable of doing it though.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 29 Jun 2013 10:16:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kaplan
Cochise

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are drop in R-12 subs you can use. Hot Shot is one with no oil change. With 134A you must get 95% of the oil out. The seals on your compressor should be changed being 34 years old.

The surgeon general said nothing about smokin a chevy...
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
2539 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  11:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those big compressors and brackets weigh near as much as an iron intake.

69 GTO-400/670/373/4Spd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.36 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: