New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  2:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will the mid '70's Grandville turbo 400 trans fit my '64 Bonneville without alterations?? replacing my slim jim soon !
thanks for any info
mike

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2013 :  8:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will bolt up.Better see if the block has bolt holes for a block mounted starter.
Check the bolt pattern on the flex plate. I think you will need the later model one for the 400.
Also check to be sure the flex plate fits the crank stub.I think 63 and back was where the flex plate/flywheel register size was slightly different.
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  12:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my block is a '66 and starter bolt up to it!!
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  12:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd think it'd go right in, but i'm not sure about driveshaft length, shifter linkage, you know, the small stuff. But should bolt up, be able to move the crossmember and line up, be good to go. If i'm upgrading trannys i try to get OD in because i like to cruise, but in my 66 cat, the 400 seems just right, i think OD would be lugging it in the big car a little, but you have more motor than i do i think.
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  12:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would have OD but gears are 2.69's !!!
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  02:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I listed my experience here somewhere about installing a turbo 400 in one of my my 63 gp's. I did it but it was tight. I believe the 63/64 are the same body dimensions. I had to do a little fab on the tranny crossmember which entailed welding a piece of stock at the old mount location and drilling a new hole for the mount itself. I had a few little things to do in regards to linkage but nothing major. Driveline had to be cut and welded to new dimensions. That set up worked. Drove it for 6 months then sold the car. I ran into a pontiac guy shortly after that and he mentioned it would have been easier to shim the body up 1/2" for trans tunnel clearance. He also mentioned I could have just relocated the crossmember for ease but that part of it wouldn't have helped me that much as the mount itself was a 2 bolt to 1 bolt or the other way around..don't quite remember. In any case, I think he was on to something. On the next one I do I'm going to do it the way he did it. I like the added clearance in the tunnel rather that ball peen beforehand to tunnel which I've read since then.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  02:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Btw, lol! Don't let friends drive it until you replace the shift indicator plate on the console or column to the pattern for the 400! Reverse won't be reverse anymore! Actually, don't let friends drive it at all! I look forward to the progress.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  02:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, the set up above was from a 66' it did include the 66 motor. I've read 64 gto had block mounted starter set up and some motors had block mounted starter provisions. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  02:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be sleepy, just noticed you had a 66' block. Your on the right path.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2013 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2.69s and the 400 will be great for cruising!
Go to Top of Page

BVR421
Sitting Bull

Bahamas
245 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2013 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike389

my block is a '66 and starter bolt up to it!!

How did you get a slimjim bolted up to a 66 block?
and a Bonneville would have had a hydro 4sp original
curious why you would use a old Catalina trans with a 66 block?

TH400 will fit under the Bonneville floor hump just barely.

Edited by - BVR421 on 04 Nov 2013 10:55:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2013 :  2:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

How did you get a slimjim bolted up to a 66 block?
and a Bonneville would have had a hydro 4sp original
curious why you would use a old Catalina trans with a 66 block?

i bought the car with drive train that's in it.
I had the trans serviced by a very good re-builder and was told it is a slim jim!! i will double check now that this is questionable but the 400 don't look any bigger than what i have now!! i did install a 428/400 in my '68 Le Mans years ago and had no issues with the fit, that being said you would thing the B-bodies would have more room!! it did come out of a Grandville so i will just keep my fingers crossed till install time!! still have to get it rebuilt!! also thinking of swapping out gears if i can find them and go with a 200-4R !! does the hydro 4 speed have reverse at end of indicator ???
my trans is a 3 spd & PNDSR indicator!!
mike
Go to Top of Page

Lucas
Cochise

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  07:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that is your shift pattern then you do have a "slim jim". I put a 455 and TH400 setup in my 63 bonneville and evrything seems to fit well. I don't have everything hooked up yet but trans crossmember is in with the mount and everything lines up.

"wildfire"
Real pontiac power
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2014 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i misspoke calling my old transmission a slim jim when it is actually a jet away for that i apologize !!! i always thought they where the same trans.

inspection cover on and new B&M kickdown switch working all is good !!!
no slips no drips no errors!!!!
what a big diff. compared to the jetaway!!! the 400 fit with no clearance issues except dip stick so went with flexible one !!!
the contour of the '74 grandville fire wall is off just enough to screw it up!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Willshire
Buffalo

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  3:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished up a 200-4r in my 64 GP. Just barely fit. As a matter of fact it may touch at certain speeds cuz i can here a vibe at 65. Fabcraft 3.90 gearset!

RIP Pontiac 10/31/10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: